Interior Ventilation

I own a 1999 323i and the interior windows/glass of the car fogs up something awful. Far worse than one would think to be 'normal'. The defrost, particularly in winter or when raining (I live in
Massachusetts) cannot even do an adequate job of keeping the windows totally clear. I have not had it checked out, but I believe it began after I had the windshield replaced a few years back, though I cannot be totally certain. (I can also mention that the headlight lamps also fog up some though I find it difficult to believe that this is connected.) It only has 30K miles and I plan to sell it, but would like this problem fixed first. Still, don't feel like bringing it to BMW dealer or repair unless I have some insight to what the problem might be. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Maybe a faulty windshield replacement is allowing water inside the cabin...

Put the AC on.

Your car is haunted.
(Rain-X makes a product that supposedly eliminated fogging I've never tried it. Have you tried having a window open a crack?)

When was the last time you cleaned the insides of the windows? Outgassing from interior plastics deposits gunk on the insides of the windows, and that makes it easier for fog to form by providing nucleation sites for condensing water vapor. It's worst in new cars but it happens to older ones too.
--
Bill D. < snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net>

Biker Geek wrote:

I second Bill's opinion. Same thing happens in my car if i do not clean the windshield from the inside properly.

Sounds like water is getting into the car. Lift carpets and check the floor. Do the same in the boot.
--
*Procrastinate now

Make sure the ventilation system isn't in Recirc mode.