Intermittent "cricket" noise in 2005 325ci

I've only had it a few weeks, when it started developing this noise. Kind of a fast cricket-like chirping that seems to vary with speed. I'm wondering if it's related to the power steering. It's a little
more prominent when the car is cold, but comes and goes regardless. Seems a little more noticeable when you turn the wheel. It doesn't seem like an engine problem since I can shift to neutral (automatic transmission) and step on and off the gas and the noise doesn't change. Any advice on whether I should take it in straight away or wait for the 14,xxx scheduled maintenance (I'm around 13,xxx miles now)?
Alan