Internal heater fan not working. Update.

97 528i E39 Last friday, 23rd, I posted that the heater fan had stopped working, so no heater or a/c. Still not working on saturday, so used my wifes car sunday and
monday instead.
Started it this morning, and the fan is working again, and has kept working all day, despite several stop starts.
Don't you just love it when faults come and go by themselves.
All I can do is hope that it doesn't pack up again, or if it does that it packs up long enough to find and fix the problem. Mike.

The FSR going intermittent is common. My fan would sometimes run - then speed up to full - or whatever it decided, regardless of the setting. And that happened with the first three. ;-(. Luckily this one has lasted well so perhaps they've improved the quality control - it had all the symptoms of poor soldering.
--
*I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it*

I'm 99% sure it is the Final Stage Resistor going bad.
gamini

Nothing erratic with mine. It's working exactly as it should. Fan speeds progressive using the switches, and on auto.
BTW is the FSR the thing that's sometimes called the 'hedgehog'?
I have an FSR on order from Eurocarparts. 55.93 inc VAT and postage, so if it does finally die I'll be able to replace it without any hanging about waiting for the part. Mike.

Yes, it has rods sticking out - probably to get the best of the airflow.

Think that's a good price.
--
*A nest isn't empty until all their stuff is out of the attic

I can imagine it would be. Replaced one in our E46 last year and the one in my E39 three years ago - details on that here: http://tinyurl.com/586sba - might be handy when you have to change yours.

Thanks Grant. A useful link, although after reading it, I wonder if I'm capable of doing the job. Not being as young as I was, I think I may find it more than challenging from a contortionists POV. :-) I have got the 'hedgehog' now though, so if it does finally give up the ghost, my son can probably fit it for me. Mike.

I managed it and I'm no spring chicken. ;-)
It would be easiest IMHO if the car was at such a height as you could simply bend at the waist to reach into the footwell - so perhaps 3 ft or so off the ground.
--
*Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have *

Replaced it today, as the fan had packed up again. Found it easy. My fears were unjustified, and no contortions needed. On a scale of difficulty from 0-10, I'd only give it 2-3. Knelt on the ground next to the open door and just reached in, after removing the piece of tunnel carpet, and lowering the panel above the pedals. Took more time to remove the trim and find it, than to change it.:-) Mike.