Is a 1985/1986 BMW 325e equipped with a check engine light?

Is a 1985/1986 BMW 325e equipped with a check engine light? I have had a problem with obtaining a SMOG certificate because the "check engine"
light did not come on. All other emission tests have passed.
I have spoken with a mechanic about this and he told me that year and model did not have one in the first place. If it does not have a check engine light, how do I prove this to obtain a SMOG certificate?
Thanks HB
snipped-for-privacy@ncompassinc.com wrote:

Mine is, and it should come on before you start the engine. That's probably what your inspector looked for and why it failed.

It should be a cheap fix then!
Ed