Is it realyl cheaper to buy a car in Europe?

Hey everyone,

My husband and I are moving to Germany and we hear it is much less expensive to buy a German made car while we are IN Germany. However, looking on their websites, it doesn't seem so. Can anyone explain to me how it is less expensive to buy it over there or how I can find out?

Katie

Reply to
Kates1632

European Delivery is intended for those who will ship the vehicle back home. If it isn't shipped within 6 months there is a 16% penalty tax. I doubt if it would benefit you if you are permanently moving to Germany (or for longer then 6 months).

joe_tide

Are you moving to Germany for the military or government and wanting a US spec car? Those conditions allow purchase without paying taxes or transportation fees. There are also no markups for BMWNA. Your overseas sponsor either has or can get information on this program.

Reply to
Bob Smitter

Yes, need to know circumstances and from where. People are assuming USA, it seems, but is that true?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

PS. VAT (a sales tax) is due to rise shortly, if the German government gets its proposal through the parliament.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Yes it's much cheaper than in the UK or Singapore or the Antartic.

Reply to
Jim

We are moving to Germany for the military and all of the moving costs and taxes, etc. will be with military orders. Thus, I am not worried about shipping and import things. All I really need to know is if it is cheaper to actually BUY the car over there, fortunately, the military takes care of most of the other things. We want to buy a nicer car if they are respectively lower priced over there....

Katie

Bob Smitter wrote:

Reply to
Kates1632 via CarKB.com

Reply to
superfrog

Well Katie here is what I know first hand, BMW, Saab, Mini Coopers and Porch are sold at Cars International. Volvo is by its self but also carries Land Rover and Jaguar. Pentagon Car sale has BMW and Mini Coopers, and are off the base and sometime near a German dealer. Best deals are for BMW, Saab, Volvo, Land Rovers and Jaguar. Ford Chevy Jeep, Chrysler, and Harley can be found on the bases at AAFES, not as big a savings but still no sales tax. Some others like Audio, Mercedes and Volkswagen, you will have to ask to ware they are. As for savings I brought a 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si invoice price was $36,300.00 My price was $36,800.00 before adding extra equipment final price was $46,100.00 with all options, back home in Washington State that would of cost over $50,000.00 and still have sale tax, to pay. So the bottom line no matter what the car cost, what you are saving is sales tax. When you bring car back to U.S. you will be exempt to car tax as long as you had it over here long enough, some states require 90 days most want a year. Check the state you intend to go back to, to be sure. I hope this helps, let me know were in Germany you are going and I can give you more information. We detach Stuttgart next September 2007.

Reply to
superfrog

Reply to
Kates1632 via CarKB.com

Kates1632 via CarKB.com wrote:

I have not been to Vilseck Germany, I was probably close going to the Czech Republic. I can not give you any info on were a BMW sales Rep is for U.S. spec cars will be, but there will be one. Talk to your sponsor for that one. You will have to go to transportation or your administrative people that are doing up your orders to ask about bring a car to take a car back. You may want to reconsider buying late in your tour vice early. You will be traveling I hope? In Italy your car can get damaged or stolen, same with The Czech Republic and all country's east of them and some of those also have bad roads. The rental place only allow certain cars to be rented to those places No Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Some Volvo's. Ford and Volkswagen no problem. Lots of people bring their own car over here and take back new cars, that is what I did. I brought a 1984 325e in excellent shape and it has gotten us around I have also rented allot, for long haul trips. BMW parts from Military junk yard are extremely cheap, and plentiful for older models of BMW and Mercedes. American cars are a little harder to come buy for parts normally will have to order parts from states to here. My advice and you do not have to take it is if you do not bring a car over, buy a used Germany spec or American spec car to get around with. (Don't forget in Germany they have the Autobahn unrestricted speeds in some areas) American cars are not normally ready for them if you intend on going over 100, 125, 150 miles per hour, ties fore one. Save to buy your BMW's a year before you go. It will be hard but you will take home a nice new car. Just go or call your DMV for state rules and time car has to be in this country. Good Luck

Reply to
superfrog

Normaly I would say its cheper in Germany for a good used german car,most germans are very particular to having the latest model so the previous model is always quite inexpensive and they are usualy well cared for, also the min fuel octane is 95 in germany so the engines . However the taxes are much higher than in US. also right now the dollar isnt vas strong as it was a few years ago. (usd to be almost par 1-1 with euro,now 73 cents or so,thats almost a 30 percent loss ) you can check some used car sites for reference.....I think one is... autos.de

Reply to
Karmann