Is my M50 engine Vanos or not?

I've had some confusion with my engine (that I am looking to sell) as to whether it is Vanos or not.

Here is the engine, from my 1993 K-reg 520i. I understand that Vanos was launched in 1993 but I'm not sure whether mine was built before or after the launch.

Robin

1992 according to
Andrew
Reply to
Andrew Morton

I presume that means mine is. The VIN identifies the car as having been built in March 1993. There is some confusion on other forums as to whether the 2 litre was Vanos or not.

Reply to
Robin

Robin wrote on 6 Dec 2006 05:47:43 -0800:

Pretty sure it is, it's the same engine as my '93 L-reg 320i SE which does have VANOS.

Dan

Reply to
Spack

Woo hoo! Vanos it is then. How much do you think the engine is worth?

Reply to
Robin

Hmm, I'm not so sure. The M50TU had vanos. Can you check with the VIN on

As for what it's worth, probably not very much.

Reply to
adder1969

Apparently the "lump" at the front, just behind the fan, means it has Vanos. A non-Vanos engine is like this one:

I've seen engines advertised on eBay for about =A3450 of a very similar age. I might ask for =A3350 and see how I get on...

Reply to
Robin

This engine has VANOS 100%. And an alarm that doesn't work. ;-)

Reply to
Don

It does work. It's just not connected.

Considering I now start the car with a screwdriver, having removed the ignition barrel for sale, the lack of an alarm is the least of my worries. A potential thief would have to bring a steering wheel too!!

Reply to
Robin