Is my M50 engine Vanos or not?

I've had some confusion with my engine (that I am looking to sell) as to whether it is Vanos or not.
Here is the engine, from my 1993 K-reg 520i. I understand that Vanos
was launched in 1993 but I'm not sure whether mine was built before or after the launch.
http://www.creffield.plus.com/stuff/BMW/m50_2s.jpg
Robin wrote:

1992 according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VANOS
Andrew
Andrew Morton wrote:

I presume that means mine is. The VIN identifies the car as having been built in March 1993. There is some confusion on other forums as to whether the 2 litre was Vanos or not.
Robin wrote on 6 Dec 2006 05:47:43 -0800:

Pretty sure it is, it's the same engine as my '93 L-reg 320i SE which does have VANOS.
Dan
Spack wrote:

Woo hoo! Vanos it is then. How much do you think the engine is worth?
Robin wrote:

Hmm, I'm not so sure. The M50TU had vanos. Can you check with the VIN on www.realoem.com?
As for what it's worth, probably not very much.
adder1969 wrote:

Apparently the "lump" at the front, just behind the fan, means it has Vanos. A non-Vanos engine is like this one:
http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=429405829
I've seen engines advertised on eBay for about 450 of a very similar age. I might ask for 350 and see how I get on...
This engine has VANOS 100%. And an alarm that doesn't work. ;-)

Don wrote:

It does work. It's just not connected.
Considering I now start the car with a screwdriver, having removed the ignition barrel for sale, the lack of an alarm is the least of my worries. A potential thief would have to bring a steering wheel too!!