is oil leak normal?

Hi all,

I bought a 1990 BMW 318i from a dealer last week. After I took it home I found a small oil leak under the engine. I am aware that it is a 16 years old car, and after reading around the web, it seems that oil leak is quite normal. How do I prevent this to be a big problem later on? I'm an automotive newbie, so please be patient.

Thanks

Reply to
Cheepy

i personaly own an 85 325e which has an oil leak as well. the common cause of a leak usually originates from a worn seal or gasket. in my case it was the oil pan gasket. this was a reasonably cheap repair and is possible to do yourself depending on the shop facilities and tools you have access to.

if the oil pan gasket does not turn out to be the source of the problem, i would ask a mechanic the other possibilities. but in most cases the repair will not be costly. just make sure to monitor your oil level, making sure to maintain enough oil to keep the engine in good working order.

Reply to
ninja73

Thanks for the reply,

Do you have any links explaining how to change an oil pan gasket?

Reply to
Cheepy

You might want to say what it is, but it's probably not the pan gasket regardless. Oil leaks down from other places making it look like it's coming from the pan.

Reply to
JimV

I'd suggest you buy a Haynes manual. OK for simple jobs like that. I don't know any links offhand. Manual 1948 covers the 3 series from 1983 to 1991. Have a look on eBay for a cheap s/h copy.

I think you'll find that with the M40 engine in your car, the engine mounting bolts on both sides need to be removed, as the engine needs to be lifted to completely remove the sump. So, apart from a jack and axle stands, you'll need a suitable hoist or method of lifting the engine from the top. Providing you have that equipment, the job is reasonably simple. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

congratulatoins on buying a fine car. If you are considering doing your own serviceing and maintenance on this car (or any car!) do consider buying a book. there are a few around, I like the bently manual.

keith

1993 E30
Reply to
keith

Well, that what i don't have: the method of liftingthe engine from the top. What kind of equipment is that?

I've ordered a Bentley manual from amazon, it should come around next week.

Thanks.

Reply to
Cheepy

On my 1989 318i (M40) I've had leaks from the oil filter housing (gasket needed replacing) and also from where the dip-stick tube fits into the engine block (rubber grommet needed replacing)

Stuart

Reply to
stuart

Ideally something like this.

can be hired, by the day, weekend etc, but a block and tackle will dothe job, providing you have a suitable place to hang it. Garage roof,tripod, etc. An easier, cheaper, but maybe riskier way, is to jack theengine from underneath, then hold it in position by tying it to a strongbeam across both wings so you can remove the jack. Protecting the wings withplenty of padding, and something to spread the load.It only needs to be lifted a couple of inches or so.>

Even better. I didn't suggest it, because at £40 plus, it's a bit OTT for a simple job like sump removal. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G