is250 vs. 325i

Page 3 of 7
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

No; it's 22 miles southwest. We call it "Road America". Sometimes I go to other tracks (Mid Ohio, Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Sebring, Brainerd, Grattan, GingerMan, Blackhawk Farms, etc.) or autocross venues; but this one's 'home' for me.

No; you drove like a 16-year-old. We all did. Then, faced with the choice of becoming boring old farts in Toyotas or competent performance/competition drivers, some of us (like me) got education and experience that allows me to do things perfectly safely that would scare the living crap out of you.

Maturity is overrated; but do you want to see my AARP card? Want to take a lap of Road America at speed with me? I teach other BMW owners how to drive fast.

Pleaded no contest to a 44 in a 35 back in Y2K. Couple of 'roadside chats' since. Mostly because they don't much like my WARP ONE plates ... =;^)

What; and make you jealous? I insure a small fleet of about six vehicles in a very crime-free and safe state. It would only piss you off to find that I've had a 'safe driver' rating for decades.

I remember breaking one of those somewhere around 165,000 miles. It probably wasn't an original. So now I carry a spare alternator/fan belt. In May, I put on a 'borrowed' a/c compressor belt in a Chicago rest stop with no tools whatsoever, let alone any hand scuffing. Frankly, your belts probably were fine for another 20,000 miles.
Regular maintenance does not translate to unreliability and an enthusiast does not begrudge the car its regular care in any case. My E28s have actually stranded me exactly once since Y2K - for a broken harmonic balancer that I removed and threw away (It's an unneeded part - but I didn't know that at the time.). I once performed 'field repairs' to a broken accelerator cable (@~225K miles) to limp home. I also avoided much driving after I sprang a big oil leak that I feared was a head gasket, but it was only a pan gasket. I could drive it, but it was rather a profligate waste of dead dinosaur fluids.
Other than that, I drive them. Not 'cruise' to be seen - *drive*. Back in May, it was autocross (2nd in class, dammit!) with other E12 and E28 fanatics over in South Bend. In a little over two weeks, it will be just about the oldest car circulating Road America with a hundred or more BMW club enthusiasts. I figure on maybe 0.9G cornering and around 130 mph after The Kink if things are going well. So what are your plans that weekend? -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Now I feel bad. I bought my 633 4 years ago for $500 at a dealer auction. Nobody wanted to touch an exotic complicated expensive to maintain car like that.
I put in a new brake bomb, soft lines and had to locate a NLA turn signal bezel.
Oh, it ate a fuse once too. The car is not rusty, the interior looks new and it goes like a scalded cat and handles like a Lotus 7.
I've spent more than the price of car+maintenance, just on shocks (struts actually) for a Japanese car.
Just one data point. And proof that to say "all german cars are expensive to maintain" is factually incorrect.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Actually, I said no such thing. I said "even *if* they cost less..." followed by "they probably don't..."

So now we get down to the real "crux of the biscuit". You are not a driving enthusiast in the least. People that are driving enthusiasts *do* enjoy driving as much as, sometimes more, than what you may consider more fun. I for one enjoy driving cars (and even more so, motorcycles) much more than I enjoy "saving money for other things".

I average a very small amount of time in my car or on my bikes each day. I do not commute. But I live in an area with a large percentage of open (rural) roads. I spend as little time as humanly possible in stop and go traffic. That is one reason that I greatly prefer driving a manual transmission, sporty handling car over a softly sprung, slush-box encumbered lux-o box.
The funnies thing is, because you can't appreciate the difference between these cars you think everyone should drive the same car that you do. That is just plain silly.
In my opinion, you should continue to drive whatever car makes you feel best and I should do likewise. In fact, everyone can follow that basic tenant and they just can't go wrong!!
--
-Fred W

I am. Quite a bit.
But for a daily driver, and for most people, the German cars come at a much higher expense than what they offer. Period.

Pardon me while I giggle uncontrollably.

Ya know if you were trying to use some hairy V12 as a daily driver I might see your point. But then there's these diesel things...
And as you said, "most" people.
snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

Ah. You're one who sees YOUR piece of the world, and doesn't understand anyone who can see beyond his own piece of the world.
So now we know where you come from.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Yeah, and eighty percent of all people say they are above average drivers...
--
-Fred W

What do you drive?
===========BuckShot LeFunk =1998 LS 400 1999 E320 4-Matic
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Yeah and sex is highly overrated too.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Yer damn right, Fred!

He didn't. And they don't.

If greed puts more of a smile on your face than driving a fine automobile, then you are not a driving enthusiast. If you would rather save the money than spend $300-$400 on a 2-day driving school with, say, the BMW club, then you are not an enthusiast. Anyone who would choose a boring car with no more motivation than yours is not an enthusiast.

Apparently, I'm not 'average'. I generally put in some 35-40 miles a day commuting on largely deserted rural roads. If it isn't 'Jeep weather', I'll be in my BMW.

No it doesn't. But maybe you should meet Da Red Dog: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/578895 -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; drove that)

Who said anything about greed?
You're putting words in people's mouths now--all so you can try to justify yourself.
Life is full of choices. For example, I prefer to be on the beach in Hawaii over driving a BMW. If I can do both, great. If not, if I have to rank them, I'll take the beach.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Lying on a beach (anywhere)?
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
--
-Fred W

Get rid of your BMWs NOW. That's assuming you have any. You'll be much happier in a camry, snicker.
spammers snipped-for-privacy@pandora.orbl.org wrote:

No, I'll be much happier on the beach while you're in your garage, snicker.

Well don't things just work out swell then? I'd rather be in the garage then at the beach getting skin cancer and fleas.
snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

So you're the type that can't possibly imagine anyone having fun doing anything that you don't like to do.
Let me guess--you're not married.

Not at all. Why do you feel the need to tell me what "type" I am?
I've done the beach thing all over the world. It's ok but I'd rather be doing other things.
But then I have a beach in the backyard so it's not quite the big deal to me it is to you I suppose. It's nice being able to see the kids swim from my desk here where I work.
The best part about the other beach, to TRY to get this back to something remotely car related, is the suntan lotion that gets glopped on the viny door bits by greased up teenagers. It's a UV protectant which is all armour all does - blocks degradation of plastic by preventing UV from hitting it. While it doesn't help leather it doesn't particularly hurt it either.
I hope this answers your questions and we can drop this rather pointless discussion in favour or something, um, interesting?
snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

I don't have to tell you. You tell the world, all on your own.

(shakes head)
** plonk **
snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

No, nod your head. You know I'm right.