is250 vs. 325i

Page 5 of 7

I never said driving was no more than a chore.
What I said was--now listen carefully--if I have to make the choice between having fun driving a car (because that costs money) and having fun on a beach on Hawaii, I'll CHOOSE to have my fun in Hawaii instead of paying for fun in a car.
Choices. It's all about choices. I can accept the Lexus for what it is--a dead-reliable choice for transport that does the job very well and which allows me to put my discretionary--DISCRETIONARY, look it up--dollars into a *more* enjoyable endeavor.
And interestingly enough--it puts a smile on my face knowing that that car allows me to make the choice, that I'm not stuck with a world of cars that are all expensive to own.
It's nice that you have a choice in life. You've made your choice. Enjoy.

So get a Skoda and have fun in the Seychelles...
--
*If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

This is all really quite hilariious considering that Lexuses (Lexi?) and BMWs cost about the same amount to purchase new and BMWs cost absolutely nothing to maintain during the 4 year warranty.
Just ignoring any difference in fun-factor right now, how is that Lexus saving you money? What model do you own that is so much less expensive than a BMW?
--
-Fred W

Elmo P.
What do yu currently own? Drive?
Thanks
===========BuckShot LeFunk =1998 LS 400 1999 E320 4-Matic
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Yes, it does. But to some of us, what it offers is *essential.* And the character of European performance cars is without equal in Japanese cars, which are basically either appliances or clones of previously existing European cars, which in only very rare exceptional cases exceed their derivative limitations: the Datsun 510, the RX-7, the original Z, and a small subset of MX-5s.
I always have a BMW as my wife's daily driver and our touring car; I've never had a maintenance problem with any of them. But then I put 95,000 miles on a Fiat 124 Spider in three years without a single problem as well, and had three Alfas to boot, plus a Fiat Dino. If you take care of things, they generally last.
BTW, with the BMWs, I firmly believe that taking European delivery invariably results in receiving an exceptional vehicle. I think the factory pays particular attention to making those vehicles as good as they could possibly be.
-- Larry
1995 Miata R (~1300 total produced, 1994-97) 2002 325i sports pkg, etc. 2001 Aprilia Falco 2002 Honda 919 1985 Honda Interceptor 500 1972 Elden FF

Wow, you really tempted fate. 95,000 miles on a Fiat 124 Spider, and 3 Alfas-- sounds like you have used up 4 of your (hopefully) 9 lives.
Congratulations.

Hey I had one of those, although a coupe. Great car and fairly trouble free, easy to work on parts were cheap tons of fun. I heard they were unreliable but mine wasn't if you simply looked after it properly.
I suspect if you wait for things to break then take it to the dealer any car can be deemed unreliable. But if you understand how cars actually work and are reasonable about things you won't relaly have trouble with any car. Modulo certain very expensive Italian ones.

the
works
old
perhaps
experience with

Well, if you're talking about cars built in the 1970s and 1980s, you've got a good point.
But if you're talking about cars built in this century, it's a very different story.

Hell, even cars built from 1990 on.
Let's take a 94 M-B vs. a 94 Lexus, cars that have been on the road with average drivers, and see how they fare.

You're saying the bulbs never blow on Japanese cars? They must be different Hondas and Toyotas we get in London...
--
*Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

well, actually, now-a-days they don't use bulbs at all. L.E.D.s
--
-Fred W

All cars? They may look like LEDs but often aren't. And are usually restricted to top of range models.
--
*Who are these kids and why are they calling me Mom?

All Honda Accords use LEDs now.
What was once top of the line, comes down to the pedestrian and entry models within a few years. LEDs are no different.
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 23:52:21 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

    Oddly enough my 2000 Avalon has not lost a single light. Probably some sort of statistical anomaly, but still...

Nope. I'm guessing the UK does get different, possibly more familiar electrics than the bulletproof stuff Toyota gives here in the US.
I'd say your Avalon experience is the norm.

Eh? Why would a maker like Toyota use different electrics by the country? Of course for Euro sales the appropriate lamps and bulbs have to be Euro marked. And the headlights may well be different due to RHD/LHD. But not usually a difference that effects bulb life.
Assuming decent quality bulbs, their life depends on four things:-
The amount of use Vibration Heat Alternator voltage

The only bulb I've replaced on my '97 E39 is the centre brake light - due, I'd say, to the small enclosure causing overheating. It's a bit of an afterthought.
--
*No radio - Already stolen.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I expect that was intended to be a Lucas joke.
--
sjs

Or a Lucas reality.

Ah. I get it now. Rather like BMW fitting crap GM auto boxes only for the US market?
--
*No radio - Already stolen.

Yup.