is250 vs. 325i

Page 6 of 7
wrote:

Actually Dave the bulb fittings for US cars is notably different from Euro ones as I have found out when a guy bought a set of LHD headlamps for a Rover 827 from me. They were originally fitted to a Rover 827 for use in France and when the car came back to the UK the original RHD lamp units were fitted back. The LHD units were wanted to replace the crap round lights fitted too the US versions. Oops! the lights fitted Ok but couldn't get the bulbs in the US so I had to export a box of 10 LHD bulbs for him.
Hugh

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

My 1992 SC400 (196K miles) has never had a burned out headlight (high or low beam), tail light, or directional signal (front or rear) bulb. I bought it new in Aug, 1991.
However, the red instrument needles all (speedo, tach, water temp, fuel level) gave up before I had them rebuilt. Also had to replace "fogged/leaking" climate control LCD (but none of the backlight bulbs had burned out in instrument cluster or climate control, although I replaced them anyway on rebuild).
Also had a 1991 LS400 for many years and only had one tail light bulb go bad in that.

I've had to replace almost every single outside bulb on my 2004 Volvo S60 T5 and the low beams at least twice. The only one's that haven't gone "zzt" are the high beams. My 97 Acura 3.0CL has 176k miles and all the original bulbs. Why?
Sam S.

The answer is simple--better parts, higher quality system. (The Volvo is just a Ford.)
Now, the REAL question is, "why does Honda use better parts and build a better system than does Ford?"
On my Toyota Camry 1997 I did not replace any b albs in 10 and half year

You plainly aren't paying any attention to what's going on around you, otherwise you wouldn't have even come close to making the above statement.
Richard Sexton wrote:

My Japanese cars have been *exceedingly* inexpensive to maintain, and as reliable as an anvil.
----- Kill ratio of Palestinian children to Israeli children 5.7-to-1, Israel's favor. Kill ratio of all Palestinians to Israelis: over 3-to-1. --------- http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/print/mear01_.html ---------- "Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it." ---Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 2001
--
Cliff

Floyd Rogers wrote:

As far as parts prices, BMW parts are really no more expensive than for any other make, as far as my observations are concerned. The problem with BMW is reliability. Except for the engines (which may be the best in the world), BMW owners can expect failures in other systems, and often.
----- Kill ratio of Palestinian children to Israeli children 5.7-to-1, Israel's favor. Kill ratio of all Palestinians to Israelis: over 3-to-1. --------- http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/print/mear01_.html ---------- "Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it." ---Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 2001
--
Cliff

Can they? I'm on my third in about 15 years - all bought secondhand - and I've not had 'failure in other systems, and often' - even if I knew what that was. ;-) All makes need replacements from time to time. The difference is how frequently this occurs which may be where the reliability surveys come from. But they don't mean *every* car in that range will be the same.
--
*I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 04:13:09 UTC, "Robert A. Cibiras"

I have an 02 manual transmission IS300. From what I understand about the IS250-350, they are fast cars, but not particularly sporty (seems to be a Lexus characteristic, unfortunately). the BMW is probably going to be a bit more of a "driver's car" but from everything I've read, the Lexus will be the more reliable of the two by far.

If you're looking at those two particular cars you are, evidently, intersted in the driving dynamics. If that's the case, I'd choose the BMW.
If all you are interested in is reliability, pick the Lexus (or any other driving appliance).
joe_tide wrote:

I would not go quite that far... I think that a prior poster got it right. The BMW is a better driver's car. The Lexus will be a softer ride (mushy) and marginally more reliable. If talking new cars, the maintenance on the BMW will be covered under warranty. But even for cars out-of-warranty I would not expect to save much with the reliable Lexus.
--
-Fred W

The Lexus will be infinitely more reliable.

Yeah. Plus chicks really dig toyotas.
Richard Sexton wrote:

Good point.
--
-Fred W

snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

I don't want women who base their choice of a man by what he drives.
(The Lexus isn't a toyota; it's made by Toyota, sure, but an SC400 screams something way different than a Corolla...)
(Richard Sexton) wrote:

Speaking of SC400's, I had two of them and I really miss them. Too bad Lexus couldn't have continued them. I understand about "progress" and all, but I sure miss them!

And I don't want women that'll settle for a toyota.

Well, that settles that then.

Yeah it screams "look at me I look a lot like a Mercedes but use even more expsneive Toyota parts that aren't engineered to last decades". What a deal.
snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

Ah. As opposed to even more expensive Mercedes parts that aren't engineered to last any more than a few years.
Face it--M-B ain't what it used to be.

I'll be the first to admit that, I don't have much confidence in the new cars. But if you can afford a Maybach you probably don't care.
I did see an old 240Z yeterday but the point remains you don't see many old Japanese cars. I imagine getting parts for them might be an issue but I'm just guessing.
Ironically the motor in that 240Z is a copy of the MB 6 from that era.
Copy copy copy.