K&N Panel Air Filter - better performance?

Page 1 of 2
Just wondering if replacing the stock filter with the above would noticeably improve performance or sound.
Any comments?

Depends on model but my E38 V8 4.4 had the original filter style but with K&N replacement. The only difference is that you don't swap it out just clean it every 10K or so. No NOTICABLE performance increase.
However if you like induction NOISE then a complete intake kit would give you a restless drive and make your car sound like it's being driven by a mindless moron - you might get 2 BHP from it too.
Sir Hugh of Bognor
--
I used to be an Egotistical Meglomaniac - but now I'm just perfect!

Hugh Gundersen
snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

causing it to fail and lose 50% engine power!

Wouldn't that be the case with any performancy-type filter? After all lesser restriction to airflow would enhance performance, but compromise on the filtering ability?
wrote in message

More on *that* "myth" here....
http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm
Hurst wrote:

independent review but better than myth I guess D

Indeed. If such a cheap simple swop was capable of giving the claimed improvements makers would fit them as standard.
--
*I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The one thing that *can* be said definitively for K&N filters is they are re-usable.
Car makers would never switch to re-usable filters (even if they cost the same, which they don't) as then their repair shops would have to spend time cleaning filters under warranty.
So let's see: They cost more initially, are more expensive to maintain (if you include labor costs), may do a worse job at filtering the air and have negligible increase in performance.
What a marketing campaign...
--
-Fred W

Not necessarily so Dave. Sometimes contracts can be in the realms of offers one cannot refuse.
Perhaps the filter companies have other holds over the manufacturers such as almost ZERO cost. Remember 1p on cost can be 100 on the price
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

DCA wrote:

Sir Hugh,
You'll have to explain how using a K&N brand panel airfilter in lieu of the normal paper airfilter will allow "crap" to reach the MAF. Do you have some direct experience in such crap infestation, or are you merely parroting some other compaintant?
--
-Fred W

The data sheet on the K&N filter will explain it for you. The minimum particle size it will trap is larger than that of typical paper filters.
If you want more airflow through a filter, you either need to increase the surface area or increase the minimum particle size you can trap. There is no magic to this.
If you are in a racing situation, a high-flow filter is definitely a good idea. If you are driving on dirt roads, a high-flow filter is probably a bad idea and in the case of the K&N you will see dust trapped in the MAP and throttle after a couple thousand miles.
Personally I wouldn't worry about the MAP so much as I'd worry about increased cylinder wear.
In a street vehicle, if you want increased air flow, your best solution might be a much larger filter or dual filters. --scott

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Bing!! That's what I was saying. Explain how the MAP sensor gives a crap about what filter is on there.

Or no filter? Lots of airflow for a short time.
--
-Fred W

I took that to mean some inferior boy racer type and NOT necessarily K&N
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 17:09:22 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

With a subject of "K&N Panel Air Filter" I can't see how you made that mistake. As for the claims of increased performance, the only thing you get is an increase in noise so your car sounds faster. Turn the stereo up a little and you'll forget about it.
Michael Yeager wrote:

With the panel filters, you don't even get much more noise since you retain the stock airbox and snorkle. I can't say for sure because I *always* turn up my stereo. ;-)
--
-Fred W

No noticeable performance or sound change. Although some folks claim the K&N doesn't filter as well as stock, the ability to clean the K&N might save a few dollars over the long haul.
Tom K.

I tried it once and didn't notice a bean of difference. The cone CAN be better depending on your engine type and if it's mounted with a heatshield. I've found K&N's mounts to be pretty poor.

With most cars the stock air filter and housing form part of a tuned circuit - the length resonates to improve breathing at certain revs. Remove that and replace with a cone and you remove that function too.
--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

John Burns wrote:

He's talking about the replacement panel filter.
--
-Fred W

Hurst wrote:

No.