Keeping up with...

Page 1 of 2
My Dad!
Some may remember that I took in our tired '02 330 convert about a month ago and walked out with a spanking new 335i convert.
Well, my Dad liked the car so much that day before yesterday (Wednesday) he
called up and stated he wanted to take a run out to Calabasas (where I bought my 335i) and look around. I drove over and we hopped in his car and went to Bob Smith's BMW. We usually try and get out a couple of times a year and spend the day looking at new cars. Something we started doing when I was a kid and have kept up, semi-regularly, over the years. Always just looking but a couple of times in the 45 years or so he, or I, have pulled the trigger and bought a car on one of our forays.
I was showing him a line of nice 5 series. The salesman was pointing out the advantages of the car when I realized Dad had stopped and was no longer walking down the line with us. I looked back and there he was with a funny look on his face, standing in front of a brand new, '08 750i. I know that look!
We drove out of there with this:
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/mayner/Vehicles/Dads%20750i /
Man!
I didn't think I'd have to compete with my 81 year old father!
It's cool though. I haven't seen him this happy since The Lakers last won a Championship. :-)
Jeff Mayner wrote:

Nice car and I hope I am just as up and about when /if I reach the considerable age of 81 years old! :-D Respect!
--
BBO, DoD#2101

BBO wrote:

I highly doubt I'll make it that long.
dizzy wrote:

Me either but as long as I'm healthy, why not? Stranger things have happened. ;-)

Probably should have got the long wheel base version.
740Ld or even 730Ld are probably a better bet unless you simply must have the grunt of the V12. OTOH your dad probably deserves a decent car after decades of driving US cars.

Why? Especially as the only lwb 7 available in the US is the V12.

Diesel BMWs aren't yet sold in the US, and the current 750i is a V8 (the V12 is the 760i or Li)
Jeff, congrats to your dad! Tom K.
Tom K. wrote:

There were several LWB 750's there. My Dad was looking at the LWB first but I talked him into the 750i as it's just him and Mom in the car, 99% of the time. Also, because of their garage configuration, the 750i fits a lot better.

And how. Before the final decision was made and he had driven the car, I told him that once he drove it we would most likely _not_ be driving the Ford home that night. ;-)

Yes.
Thanks (for my dad). He loves the car and he can now operate the seats and "some" of the other features w/o the manual.
Progress! ;-)

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:51:33 -0000, "R. Mark Clayton"

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Of course the V12 750i has been superceded by the 760i.

Mmm. It's only a car and if you look at the depreciation, etc. a big waste of money. Each to their own I suppose.

Fuck off ali... The guy is 81... do you really think he gives a shit about depreciation?????
GOOD FOR YOUR DAD... Good tatse (both of you), I hope he enjoys it for years to come.
As stated above, I hope I have the same type of ride when I am an old boy!

As I said, each to their own. There are more important things in life than a car.
"Choam Nomsky" <kaos.kaptain AT gmail.com> wrote in message wrote in message

Ali wrote:

If you can afford it, it's not going to change your lifestyle. For many people here, it's no different than you buying a used '98 Honda Accord.
You probably should check out other car groups that fit your income.
-dk
Ali wrote:

Always someone to put a turd in the punch bowl...
Robert wrote:

<soapbox>
I get what he's saying, though a turd in the punchbowel doesn't put a dent in my parent's basic, lifelong conservative philosophy and does not in the least diminsh their accomplishments that allow them to do what they want to do now in the twilight of their lives.
I've told them many times that I would be perfectly happy if they had _nothing_ to pass-on at end of life, monetarily, as they have already "passed-on" the most important lessons one can.
</soapbox>
Ali wrote:

I understand what you're saying and they worked their entire lives with that credo.
They now have the right to do what they want when they want. I can only hope we all reach the ability to do so. With parents like mine, my sister and I have a pretty good start.

Jeff Mayner wrote:

Are they adopting? :)
I am working towards that as well. That is one of the American dreams, to work and retire to be able to do what you want to do and to afford things that you always wanted in life....
I say good for them!!!!
Rob
Ali top-posted:

Then what are you doing in the BMW group, you stupid, top-posting troll?

You came to a BMW newsgroup to tell us that we should all be buying used KIAs instead? Or maybe even bicycles instead of cars?
Get a grip!
Pete

Just as there are more important things in life than driving boring 'transportation appliances' like yours. If you don't have a clue what a BMW is all about, why try discussing it? -- C.R. Krieger