Keeping up with...

My Dad!

Some may remember that I took in our tired '02 330 convert about a month ago and walked out with a spanking new 335i convert.

Well, my Dad liked the car so much that day before yesterday (Wednesday) he called up and stated he wanted to take a run out to Calabasas (where I bought my 335i) and look around. I drove over and we hopped in his car and went to Bob Smith's BMW. We usually try and get out a couple of times a year and spend the day looking at new cars. Something we started doing when I was a kid and have kept up, semi-regularly, over the years. Always just looking but a couple of times in the 45 years or so he, or I, have pulled the trigger and bought a car on one of our forays.

I was showing him a line of nice 5 series. The salesman was pointing out the advantages of the car when I realized Dad had stopped and was no longer walking down the line with us. I looked back and there he was with a funny look on his face, standing in front of a brand new, '08 750i. I know that look!

We drove out of there with this:

Man!

I didn't think I'd have to compete with my 81 year old father!

It's cool though. I haven't seen him this happy since The Lakers last won a Championship. :-)

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

Nice car and I hope I am just as up and about when /if I reach the considerable age of 81 years old! :-D Respect!

Reply to
BBO

Probably should have got the long wheel base version.

740Ld or even 730Ld are probably a better bet unless you simply must have the grunt of the V12. OTOH your dad probably deserves a decent car after decades of driving US cars.
Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Why? Especially as the only lwb 7 available in the US is the V12.

Diesel BMWs aren't yet sold in the US, and the current 750i is a V8 (the V12 is the 760i or Li)

Jeff, congrats to your dad! Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Mmm. It's only a car and if you look at the depreciation, etc. a big waste of money. Each to their own I suppose.

Reply to
Ali

Fuck off ali... The guy is 81... do you really think he gives a shit about depreciation?????

GOOD FOR YOUR DAD... Good tatse (both of you), I hope he enjoys it for years to come.

As stated above, I hope I have the same type of ride when I am an old boy!

Reply to
Choam Nomsky

As I said, each to their own. There are more important things in life than a car.

Reply to
Ali

If you can afford it, it's not going to change your lifestyle. For many people here, it's no different than you buying a used '98 Honda Accord.

You probably should check out other car groups that fit your income.

-dk

Reply to
Dan

Always someone to put a turd in the punch bowl...

Reply to
Robert

Well, when you are as old as dad, your priorities change -- when you're looking at the dark end of the tunnel, a new 750 is cool. I'm not quite as old as dad but I don't see a big waste of money here ... Heck, my kids are pissed becaused i've gone thru a couple of m3's and an x5 and i'm looking at an x6 next. But hey, whats a waste of money to you is entertainment value to me...

Mike

(on my way to the store to blow my pension money on expensive wine -- )

Reply to
Mikep

Good for you, I wish MY parents would enjoy things a little more... sure I want the inheritance, but I would much rather see them smiling like your dad when he hammers the pedal in his 750i ;)

Reply to
Kapt_Kaos

What color is the car? It looks grey but it also looks similar to my E65 - Michigan Blue which is a very pale silver/blue. However mine is the 730d Yes DIESEL with 235 BHP and some 435lb/ft torque. Still shows over 150 on the speedo and 0-60 in 7 secs but the beauty of it is -------- 40MPG (imp).

I see you didn't get the tinted (dark) sun protection rear windows! However you have got the "sport" package in the way of s/wheel and front seats thigh support

- do you ever use the seat heating?

I do hope you didn't order the sport suspension as it is total crap - too hard, too noisy and very uncomfortable especially if you also have the 19/20" wheels OUCH! The adjustable suspension is just as bad either too soft and wallowly or too hard and uncomfortable.

Still -------- happy motoring.

Hugh Sir Hugh of Bognor

Reply to
hsg

Sorry to disillusion you but the 750 is a V8 - BMW no longer offer the V12.

Reply to
hsg

Of course the V12 750i has been superceded by the 760i.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

There were several LWB 750's there. My Dad was looking at the LWB first but I talked him into the 750i as it's just him and Mom in the car, 99% of the time. Also, because of their garage configuration, the 750i fits a lot better.

And how. Before the final decision was made and he had driven the car, I told him that once he drove it we would most likely _not_ be driving the Ford home that night. ;-)

Yes.

Thanks (for my dad). He loves the car and he can now operate the seats and "some" of the other features w/o the manual.

Progress! ;-)

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

Doesn't matter anymore with my parent's. They worked their asses off for 60 years so they can now afford the "depreciation". Having lived through the depression as they did and raised myself and my sister and provided us with a very solid foundation and understanding of what it means to be true citizen of this earth and productive members of the human family, I do not begrudge them the one "extravigance" they've indulged in in my life's memory. It has always been myself and my sister first, then their 3 grandkids.

Now it's about them and they can do anything they want as far as I'm concerned.

Each to their own I suppose.

Yes.

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

Thanks.

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

I understand what you're saying and they worked their entire lives with that credo.

They now have the right to do what they want when they want. I can only hope we all reach the ability to do so. With parents like mine, my sister and I have a pretty good start.

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

I get what he's saying, though a turd in the punchbowel doesn't put a dent in my parent's basic, lifelong conservative philosophy and does not in the least diminsh their accomplishments that allow them to do what they want to do now in the twilight of their lives.

I've told them many times that I would be perfectly happy if they had _nothing_ to pass-on at end of life, monetarily, as they have already "passed-on" the most important lessons one can.

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

Good for you! And a nice selection of vehicles past and present, by the way. ;-)

Reply to
Jeff Mayner