key in ignition

Funny thing happened the other day... I put the key in the ignition and turned the key and it just turned freely forwards and back. I took the key
out, pondered a bit, put it back in, turned and this time it worked. Can someone enlighten me, I'm guessing it is a security feature but how is it enabled, do I need to have something checked, does the key need to be recoded, batteries replaced?
Thanks Maurice '95 740i
I'm guessing it is not a security feature, but rather is a sign of impending total failure.

I don't know the answer to the other problems, but I think you'll find that when the battery needs replacing, it tells you on the cars display. Mike.
My 98 M3 has been doing the same thing for about 2.5 years. No impending failure just a worn out mechanism. If you wiggle the steering wheel a bit it will catch - or just turn the key back and forth a bit and it will catch as well. Probably not worth the money to fix since it is not really broken.
JM
Maurice wrote:

Yes, it's a security feature, no it's not a problem. When it happens, just do what you done before.