Keyless entry malfunction - 94 BMW 318i

Couple of days back, my BMW alarm went off and seems like it was beeping for 25 minutes, today I am unable to use the keyless entry. The remote key lights but the doors are not getting locked. I have to
do it manually. please help what could be the problem.
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 09:03:52 -0700, manick wrote:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t 154&highlight=keyless+entry
It may also be:
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/fusible_link.htm
Or your battery on the key itself may be going dead. And when you say that your alarm went off- does that mean that somebody broke into your car? Jimmy'd the locks? If so, then you might have to do a reset and disconnect the battery for 30 minutes and re-enter the security code on the radio(if its a stock radio). From the information given, that is what I can surmise. Check out this site if you need to reprogram your key after your battery dies:
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/prog_remote.htm
Good luck.
ER
Well, good news - fob started working by itself, I dont know the reason yet ( but very curious to know ), could be the battery in the fob is weak. but the light glows. Thanks for the information that you gave me.
manick wrote:

I had a similar problem with my keyless entry/locking system using my remote. There is a micro-switch which engages when you close the hood. On my 1998 it is on the passenger side just inside the fender. Bent the arm so it made contact and the problem was solved.