leaking fuel, 525 touring 96

Hi Filled the bimmer to the top the other day, just under 80 quid ouch!

next day, inside and outside stank of fuel, gauge was down too.

I have had a look underneath while the car was on a lift

I can feel petrol on top of the plastic tank, where i can put my fingers...

Is this a common problem, or can anyone offer ideas where its coming from, esp as it was filled to the top..

I guess the tank is differant from the salloon, and is it a problem, where a tank from a scrapper would be problematic too or is likley around the fuel pump or certain pipes?

I started the car and there was no sudden release of fuel onto the ground or anywhere

hope someone can help ta!!!

Reply to
Jules

You overfilled it, probably with very cold fuel.

This has expanded and escaped through the labarynth / breather.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Or the rubber seals for the sender units are not sealing correctly?

Reply to
Ali

filled up many times recently all over Europe and it didnt happen

Reply to
Jules

i asked about that, guy spoke to said no rubber seals..but was my thought at first

Reply to
Jules

Then, I think he has misinformed you.

Reply to
Ali

It was the garage who let me use the lift to look underneath said no rubber seals

He did say, empty the boot, lift carpets and look down and remove a few screws and take a look.

Hope fully get the chance to do that tomorrow.

It was a week when i filled it, and there is still literally fuel sat on top of the plastic tank when you run your finger over it, gauge is now showing just over half.

Will try to look at the Bently manual!

Reply to
Jules

quoted text -

On top of the (plastic?) petrol tank? Find the fuel gauge senders and check the filler pipe to the tank.

Reply to
adder1969

correctly?- Hide quoted text -

yes

Find the fuel gauge senders and

looked at the Bently manual, the filler pipe seems to have no access to the top of the fuel tanks, the thin part. so if it leaking from there, i cant see how it can get loose fuel on the top itself

Reply to
Jules

Use some matches to find the leak ;-)

Reply to