Leatherette v/s Real Leather

Check out this link...... PETA forces Mercedes Imitation Leather

wiseguy

Mercedes have long provided a synthetic seat cover on many models that can be hosed down.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

One last thing I'd like to offer to this thread is an observation between the two when it's hot, as in south Texas hot. I really couldn't tell that much difference between the two unless I really looked for it. However, yesterday I was shopping for a new BMW (finally got my 325i, yeah!) and I was really wanting to go with the leatherette to save some bucks. I test drove two different cars, one with leather one with leatherette. Both had black interiors which I wanted, but changed my mind after I realized how hot they would be down here. The leather was hot, but the leatherette was sticky. I noticed this once before when doing a test drive, but thought maybe it was just because of the heat. But, my back did not sweat and stick as much to the leather. Although I really believe the leatherette looks just as good and probably hold up better, I went for the leather just for the comfort.

Reply to
Jack Dotson

I must have the 'ette.

Reply to
dizzy

I followed this thread closely while I was considering buying my new 325i and had made up my mind the leather was not worth the extra dollars. However, when I drove both for an extended period in the Texas heat I bought the leather. When I got out the leatherette car by back was starting to sweat, even with the air con running. The leather was fine and to me it just felt better. If I was only worried about looks and longevity I would have gone with leatherette, but for comfort I chose the leather. Might depend allot on where you live and whether conditions.

Reply to
Jack Dotson