Leatherette v/s Real Leather

Page 2 of 2
Bear wrote:

I agree with you on most counts, that leather can be kept looking very good with proper care, except in comparison to BMW's leatherette. Compared to any other manufacturers vinyl seating surface (including MB-tex) this stuff is incredible. I would not believe it if I did not have living proof sitting in my driveway (whenever SWMBO isn't tooling around town in it).
My 325i does not get pampered (like the BMWS I have in my garage with leather seats) it is 10+ years old, sits outside in the summer heat and winter freeze and looks, by all rights, like brand new. I only wish the carpets looked as good as the seats. ;-)
I really encourage folks to investigate the Leatherette... especially if you intend on keeping your car a very long time and may not always get around to pampering the interior.
--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys here:

Sounds very interesting; I've not had direct experience of modern BMW "leatherette" (what a ghastly term), and thus was talking out of my arse when saying leather was better; I believe leather is better than any other artificial substance I've yet seen. OTOH, leather is a renewable resource which plastics aren't ... can you sense me *reaching* for an argument now? ;)
(can we not mention leather tanning chemicals please, coz my argument will fall apart faster than a Ford's engine ...)
--
Bear
"The deep south? Isn't that the place where the black guys are really

Mercedes have long provided a synthetic seat cover on many models that can be hosed down.
DAS
"wiseguy" < snipped-for-privacy@e.com> wrote in message

One last thing I'd like to offer to this thread is an observation between the two when it's hot, as in south Texas hot. I really couldn't tell that much difference between the two unless I really looked for it. However, yesterday I was shopping for a new BMW (finally got my 325i, yeah!) and I was really wanting to go with the leatherette to save some bucks. I test drove two different cars, one with leather one with leatherette. Both had black interiors which I wanted, but changed my mind after I realized how hot they would be down here. The leather was hot, but the leatherette was sticky. I noticed this once before when doing a test drive, but thought maybe it was just because of the heat. But, my back did not sweat and stick as much to the leather. Although I really believe the leatherette looks just as good and probably hold up better, I went for the leather just for the comfort.