left turn signal stuck on. Help!

Hi all,

I have a 1999 E39 (528i)

Today I was driving and I noticed my left turn signal was on but the lever was in the neutral position! I pulled over, turned the car off for a few minutes but didn't help! I had to drive home with the 4-ways on!

Anyone have any insight on this? I exercised the lever quite a bit hoping that it was a sticky switch but didn't help!

Suggestions please!

Reply to
Noway Jose

Switch could be bad, and the cable harness in the column could be bad also. Try unlocking the column and moving the wheel forward and back and see if the problem changes.

Same as always. Get out the meter, start at the switch and work down toward the lamp.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Why drive with the 4-ways on? Just drive with the left on and pretend you are an idiot.

My first thought is that the turn signal stalk (combination switch) is broken.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I had a fault like this around 30 years ago and thought I had diagnosed it to damage in the cable in the column.

Then a friend pointed out the car had a tow ball and trailer electrics. Sure enough there was a slave unit for it and a fuse or bulb had blown. With no diodes current passed between circuits in the device. I replaced the fuse / bulb and inserted diodes and all was fine. I also had a row with the maker, but these days such units incorporate protection.

Check you don't have one of these.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Found out it's the switch.

A friend took it out, sprayed electrical contact cleaner inside, put it back in and it works (for now)

Going to order a replacement as he stated this might be a "temporary fix."

Thanks for your suggestions.

Noway Jose wrote in news:XnsA06EDD6EE9972nwjdontemailmecom@216.196.97.131:

Reply to
Noway Jose