Locking gas cap E46

With gas prices the way they are, does anyone know a way to use a locking gas cap (to prevent theft) on a 325xi so as not to activate the dash light that says service needed?
The stock cap indicates this will happen if the cap is not tight. I assume the sensor will not work with a non stock cap, and therefore activate the service light.
Sammy wrote:

I thought all BMW's had a locking door on the gas cap. Why would you want to double lock it?
Cheers, Bob
My 04 does not. Just push on the door from the outside and it opens. Then unscrew the cap.

Sammy wrote:

an awful long time but may have changed so I could be wrong...
Cheers, Bob
OMG...you're right!
Thanks!

The door should lock when the doors lock. If you are opening the door when the car is not locked, then the door opens easily, but when the car is locked the gas door should be locked too.

Sammy> My 04 does not. Just push on the door from the outside and it opens. Sammy> Then unscrew the cap.
Try it when the car is locked.
wrote>
--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.autos.bmw...)

My thoughts exactly
--
Cheers

Rick

http://www.aqua-maniac.co.uk

Perhaps a gas cap made of flint would discourage them?
-Russ.