Locking gas cap E46

With gas prices the way they are, does anyone know a way to use a locking gas cap (to prevent theft) on a 325xi so as not to activate the dash light that says service needed?

The stock cap indicates this will happen if the cap is not tight. I assume the sensor will not work with a non stock cap, and therefore activate the service light.

Reply to
Sammy

I thought all BMW's had a locking door on the gas cap. Why would you want to double lock it?

Cheers, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
Sammy

Try locking the car and then check. It has been this way on BMW's for an awful long time but may have changed so I could be wrong...

Cheers, Bob

Reply to
Bob

OMG...you're right!

Thanks!

Reply to
Sammy

On my 03, locking all doors also locks the gas door. Surely the 04 works the same way. Jim

Reply to
Jim

The Evaporative Emissions Control System (gas tank fumes) is a closed system. If the gas cap that you buy does not make a good seal, the Evap. Emissions System will let you know by activating the light.

It IS possible to find a locking cas cap that seals the tank, but if somebody is determined enough to pry the gas door open, they'll likely be prepared to pry the cap off -- doing even more damage to your car than they have already done. I'd be wanting to cut my losses by letting them find a gas cap that they can open without tearing the car up.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The door should lock when the doors lock. If you are opening the door when the car is not locked, then the door opens easily, but when the car is locked the gas door should be locked too.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

My thoughts exactly

Reply to
Cichla

Perhaps a gas cap made of flint would discourage them?

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Sammy> My 04 does not. Just push on the door from the outside and it opens. Sammy> Then unscrew the cap.

Try it when the car is locked.

Sammy> On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 20:08:45 GMT, Bob wrote>

Reply to
<ahall