Looked and drove new Porsche 911

Got tired of wainting for new M4, M3 or whatever it will be called. So I went and visited the Porsche dealership. Loved the car. Really beautiful and fun to drive. But BMW seems to cater to the creature comforts much better. No IPOD availability. Not even satalite radio option. I don't understand! I discovered that the factory will paint the car any color you like, but you cannot get radio technology that is years old. Again I don't understand! My wife and I have been accostumed to the spoiling of BMW. I guess we will wait for the M3/4. Performance and luxury.

Jean-Paul

Reply to
Jean-Paul

You are pressing on along a country road. As you round a sweeping bend your back wheels unfortunately hit upon a patch of wet leaves. Describe what happens next: -

BMW

Porsche 911

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

In both cases, you are at risk of drifting sideways off the road. I think what you're trying to get at is the danger of an inexperienced driver snapping off the throttle in such circumstances. If you do something as daft as that, then the 911 is more likely to go twirly on you than *any* front engined car. It comes down to driving skills.

Reply to
Dean Dark

I downshift and powersteer around the bend... ;-)

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Hi, I was just in the same position as you are, after my M3 was stolen in July. I didn't want to wait 2 years+ for the new M3, and consider getting another E46 wasteful when it is being replaced. Besides, if the new M3 looks as anonymous and disinteresting as the new 3 series, I would have a problem anyway. I went for the 911 and took delivery of a new 911S Carrera convertible 4 weeks ago. All I can tell you is that it is the best car I have ever driven. The options may not be as advanced as BMW, but if you want a car that drives like a dream then this is it. I may be out of line posting this back to the BMW ng, but after driving the

911 I'll never be going back to BMW.

Harry

Trouble is, the only family car in the Porsche stable is pug-ugly.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

It's okay Dori, you can say it's butt ugly. We don't mind.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

In the case of the Cayenne I could also use that term, although I am not sure I need to:

pug

. noun a dwarf of dog with a broad flat nose and deeply wrinkled face.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I could give the definition of butt, but my guess is that you already know.

Having said that, I suppose some butts are worth the effort it takes to look at, and in such cases "butt ugly" is a contradiction in terms.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Agreed, that's why it also cost me for a family car for my wife.

Reply to
Harry

I'm biased towards the BMW (but that's mainly because of the fact that I've yet to see even a single Porsche that I like), but I'm wondering why you single out the iPod or satelite radio options? Surely there are more important things on the road or in your car?

Besides that, I've never understood the need for iPods or stuff like that in a car - just get a decent sound system and use a CD changer.

Just my 2 cents...

Princess Morgiah

Reply to
Princess Morgiah

Driving fast down a winding road is not the same as driving fast down a winding road with great music on a wonderful sound system!!!!!!

The BMW and Porsche satisfies the first, but commercial radio and CDs do not satisfy the second.

A couple of observations:

Obviously you have never owned an IPOD. This is just something you do not understand until you own one. Take it from me, because I never understood it till I owned one.

You suggested CD's. Suggesting listening to a CD instead of an IPOD is like suggesting listening to eight track tapes. MP3 players are here to stay.

Or you have experianced and IPOD and you obviously don't like music to the degree that I do. Some people don't understand why people would spend so much money on a car.

You and I obviously are a car enthusiast. Our degrees of enthusiasm may be different towards cars (and other things).

I like sporty cars (BMWs and Porsches, as well as others).

I am also a music enthusiast. That is why I am interested in satalite radio and IPODs.

As far as a CD's, if you listen to one or two, you are not really an enthusiast and can cope. Commercial radio, can't stand it, won't listen to it.

Reply to
Jean-Paul

Indeed, although to be fair to iPOD's the reduction in quality of a decent MP3 over a CD is nothing like as much as on lo-fi 8-track.

What has the means of delivery got to do with with how much one likes music?

Even then some people like acoustic, live performances, recordings (on different media) etc. A lot of people prefer to listen in a normal room (or cabin in a car) and not have a pair of 'phones on their head.

???

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Except that CD is far higher quality than 8-track. Oh - and MP3 too, obviously.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've actually got a 'death throw' 8-track made by Woolensack. Uses Ferrichrome tapes and has Dolby B. I'd say it beats MP3 in performance. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My main argument here is directed towards convience of song selections (which I should have clearly stated), overall quantity of songs being readily available, the enjoyment of randomized song selection as well as other types of groupings (records, artist, genre, etc). I was not really thinking from the audiphile direction. I was thinking along the lines of car sound systems which have road noises and limited cockpit space, awkward speaker placement, etc. and not making a comparison of a car to a "sound optimized" living space. I am really interested in GOOD sound quality considering the design limitions of an automobile coupled with the convience of a mp3 player.

I was making a point that individuals have different priorities. (ex. Some of us do not understand how people spend so much money on expensive cars when good transportation can be had for much less).

Have you not listened to commercial radio lately? It is the mirror image of commercial television. Ten minutes of commercials for the actual station, then ten minutes of commercials, then one song that is the most popular song that was played 4 times the last hour, then back to ten minutes of commercials, ...., need I go on????

Who needs that when they have satellite radio, or internet radio, which I can record and replay on my IPOD.

Porsche, are you listening.

Last point: Why does BMW offer both Satalite and IPOD as an option?

Reply to
Jean-Paul

Very true - I agree with you on this one.

You got me there - I do not own an iPod, nor will I ever own one. I do have a little mp3 player (256Mb, which is too small, I should have bought the 1Gb version) which I do like a lot.

To me, the iPod is too expensive for what it offers, it's a hard disk player while I prefer flash based players, and the "it will fit your entire music collection" reason people keep on mentioning does not do it for me. I'd have to buy a lot of iPods to fit my music collection :)

Indeed, I prefer CD's, and IMHO your comparison is flawed. I'm not saying that Mp3 players are going to disappear, but you make it seem as though the quality of a CD is inferior to the quality of mp3's. This is not true in real world situtations:

- if you buy digital music, why not fork out the same amount of money for CD's?

- if you don't buy digital music, and download it, then you are faced with

128k mp3s, a lot of which have artifacts in them.

I think we like music to the same degree, but we like to experience it in a different way.

Ever since mp3s were introduced, I've had a love/hate relationship with them. I own a lot of music on CD (3000+ discs and counting) so I've invested a lot of time and money in collecting them. And then all of a sudden, Napster and the like comes along.

There are CDs in my collection which literally took me years to find - that's also a part of the fun, hunting down tracks that are almost nowhere to be found. Mp3s took a lot of that fun away for me. Just recently, I came into contact with someone who offered me "some music" - it turned out to be his old jukebox system which he used in a pub. Bam - 37.000 songs added to the collection in one instant. Ok, now I have the songs (many of which I already had), but there was no fun in collecting.

I have a lot of mp3s, but the music I really like I'll always buy - I prefer the tangible feel of a CD over the electronic bits and bytes (kinda strange for a software developer, ain't it?).

As I stated before, I'm beyond one or two CDs, but I like to browse through the collection and dig up stuff to listen to on the next trip, no matter how short. It keeps my collection "alive", so to speak, whereas an iPod would just let me select song x at time y.

Commercial radio has come to a point where, if it so happens that I forget my CD changer, I always return home to get the changer instead of listening to that infernal radio :)

Whether or not you get the iPod, it's your choice of course - at least I understand your reasons now.

Anyway, whichever car you choose - I wish you good luck with the car and lots of musical miles. Drive safely!

Princess Morgiah

Reply to
Princess Morgiah

I have two pugs and both of them are better looking than the Cayenne ! (they also exhibit more stability on cornering, unless of course they are on a tile floor)

Homer

Reply to
Homer