Looking at the Z3 - M-Series

I've been more interested lately in obtaining a Z3 "M" series. This will be my firts BMW, although I have admired them for years. Accroding to a
number of sites, the only years for the M series were 1999&2000 for the 240hp engine, and 2001&2002 for the 310hp version.
Assuming condition approproate to price, I'm looking for some first hand experience and information on the various models. I am more inclined to find a newer, higher hp version, but wanted to hear from those who know far more on this topic than I do currently.
Any constructive advise is appreciated, what to look for, what to watch out for, personal experiences, pro and cons of each.
Thanx in advance...
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:38:56 GMT, DownTime

    I was looking at the Z3 before I decided that I liked the Z4 a bit more. (The last Z3s were darned close to the Z4 in asking price, while the Z4 is a couple of generations ahead in handling and comfort.)     Anyway, R&T recently did decent "used classic" article on the Z3 series. It's at http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=7&article_id "10. I've found the best/most active Z3 board to be the one on www.bimmerforums.com. Lots of knowledgeable owners and good advice.     Good luck with your search.     Emanuel -- 2003 BMW 325i Black/Black 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black