Loss of power on my 1998 V8 540i

I have got a 1998 V8 540i

The problem started that it lost power when you used the kickdown it was almost like it was in the wrong gear, my local mechanic put it on the diagnostic and said that it was showing cylindar block problem, he found that four coils were loose and he replaced one ignition coil and a set of plugs, the diagnostic then showed no faults.

He gave us the car back, we did two journeys and the problem started again but with all accelerating, it just seems to have lost all power.

The machanic said that there seems to be a lot of pressure in the water system but he doesn't know why

We did have the radiator replaced a few months ago as the top (moulded) hose joint thingy had split, when they took the radiator out they said that it was distorted/blown out of shape but I don't know whether it is relevant to the current problem.

Any advice you can give me would be great

Thanks

Cass

Reply to
Cass

If there really is high pressure in the coolant, not attributed to having hot coolant, then that points very strongly to a cylinder head gasket failure or indeed a cracked head. Any quarter decent mechanic would think the same.

Reply to
adder1969

. . .

Uh, were there lots of dogs and cats in the "customer waiting area"? Maybe a bird or two?

That's not a mehcanic, that's a vet.

Reply to
Richard Sexton