Lost reverse in 1993 BMW 740iL

How big of a problem could this be? How much work would it take to fix it myself? How much would it cost? How do I troubleshoot the problem?
Thanks!
You may want to start by buying a Bentley manual:
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code 94
don't waste your time with a bentley for this issue!!!!!
your valve body needs a rebuild, tranny may be saved if you are lucky! Don't drive it until you get it fixed! go here... . http://www.bimmer.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f  and search trans program, reverse, no reverse, (!) kirt, 5hp30, (that is your tranny model, 5hp30 made by ZF)
OR BETTER YET!!!!! call this great guru on your tranny, he sells the ZF rebuild kit, you just need someone to do the install. he will take very good care of you, he does not care about your $$$, he is doing you a huge favor!!! Kirt Koeller direct (616)748-5735
if you can handle the install, here are the directions! http://tridem.han-solo.net/auto/erich/valvnew.pdf
another page... http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t 006&highlight=kirt
thanks for the info, it helped a lot!

Recently happened to another owner I know. If it's the four speed box check the linkage is tight.
it's a 5 speed in the 740.