Lousy AM radio reception

I have a 2003 325i. Overall it's a good car, in the BMW tradition, but the reception for the AM radio is lousy. The antenna is built into the rear
windshield. Sounds like a great idea, but it does not work very well. FM is decent. Someone at BMW told me that 80% of the surface was dedicated to FM, and only the remaining 20% to AM radio. It was decided so because "BMW estimated that its drivers don't listen to AM radio". Well, in Europe maybe, but here in America, we do! Anyway, BMW has not been very helpful on the issue, and I've inquired about the possibility of installing an aftermarket external antenna, but was told this cannot be done either. BMW has since solved the problem by making its new models with a stubby antenna and that works well but it does not do me any good.
I suspect a lot of people with the same model have the same problem. Has anyone found a solution? Thank you very much for your suggestions.

reception.

No, there is no tint on my windows. The car is the way it was delivered to me by BMW. So this isn't the problem. Thank you for your reply.

1) the stubby antenna is the GPS receiver's antenna. 2) we have been having a discussion about this - check the posts over the last week or so. 3) the probable cause is often poor connections to the antenna, or to the inline amplifier (in the c-pillar/package shelf area). The ground for the antenna or amp is often bad. 4) there are two antennas, but they are both used equally for am & fm. The receiver decides which antenna has a better signal.
FloydR
wrote

Thank you for your reply.
I've tried to see the earlier posts, and found only a few. Others were no longer available.
If satelitte radio was available where I live, I would get it immediatly. But it isn't.
What the BMW dealer proposes to do (reluctantly, after lots of stalling and dodging the issue) is to replace the amplifier. I have no idea if this will improve anything.
Question: If the problem was that the ground was bad, would the FM still work?
BMW also tells me that if I install another radio, or even just an external antenna, it would void the warranty. So I don't know how to go about doing it safely.

Possibly. Because the frequencies are so different, FM often works w/o an antenna - or just a short piece of wire, which is what a bad amp leaves you with.

Bogus. This dodge has been tried - you would win in arbitration.
BTW: Google Groups is great at searching the Usenet archives.
FloydR
Floyd Rogers wrote:

Yes, as Floyd said, bogus. The only part of your warranty that would be void would be the part that directly applies to the radio or anything you messed with to change the radio. If you blew a head gasket they would have a hard time proving they shouldn't cover it because you changed the stereo. It has been tried and upheld in many courtrooms in many countries.
--
-Fred W

Noidea, I started a thread about FM and radios in general a week or so ago... But I think you may be in a different situation. In searching the web for an answer to the problems I was having, I came across many posts from owners of BMWs from about 2002 to 2004 who were having problems with lousy AM reception. The common answer seemed to be that that the stock radio wasn't good, and most dealers said that that's just the way it was. Most people resigned themselves to getting a new radio installed.
I have a 2000 323i, and my AM reception is actually quite good now that I've fixed the problem with the antenna amp in the rear c-pillar... So I can only assume that around 2002 or so, the manufacturer of the radio changed.
Same here...I just traded in my 2003 325i which had very poor AM for a brand new 2006 330i, which has awesome reception here in Las Vegas..
On 10/25/05 12:20 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "RP"

noidea wrote:

I feel your pain. I get terrible AM reception. It bugs the crap out of me... i'm thinking of having XM or SIRIUS installed.
The stereo in general is sub-par, much to my wife's displeasure. I don't mind the sound output, just want my AM radio!