Low coolant

My low coolant light has been coming on at first start in the morning. It only stays on for a short while (about a quarter mile of gentle driving) then it goes out and doesn't re-appear all day. The temp gauge never gets hot. If I let it sit most of the day after the initial start, it may come on for a few seconds. In essence, it only comes on when the engine is cold.

My dealer said to just top it off with "regular green coolant". What would that be?

I was under the impression that BMW's used some kind of special coolant.

'05 325i

Reply to
joe_tide

Josh Assing

Actually that's a great idea. It's only below the sensor a smidgeon.

Reply to
joe_tide

your coolant is probably just at the low level mark in the coolant expansion tank. The motoring you usually do will heat it enough and have it expand to the point where the coolant float will no longer signal low coolant. There are two types of coolant, propylene glycol and ethylene glycol. See which your bimmer uses and when purchasing the coolant type used in your car make sure it adheres to aluminum protecting standards, you neednt pruchase special bmw coolant. Your owner's manual should specify which one (propylene or ethylene). If still unsure the best advice is to top it off with a lil water. Any coolant a car uses is still mixed with water and if unsure of the coolant type water is best. happy motoring

Reply to
varan

I put about 2 cups of water in and all is fine. You are correct, it didn't need much.

Thanks

Reply to
joe_tide

Join the club.

Yeah, it has the letters BMW stamped on the bottle. Seriously though, if it's just a little low add pure water. You're supposed to replace the coolant every two years anyway.

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf