Low oil on a Sunday.

And the quality may fall or there will not be any special ones. Good wine of a particular vintage is just not made in such quantities to satisfy the needs of discounters or any supermarket chain. Thus it is, e.g., advisable to be very careful about buying fresh meat from a large chain instead of a good butcher. The value for money at a supermarket may, in fact, be lower.

So, I suggest that

does not always yield the results you think.

Here is another example: grapes. Grapes.

Most grapes sold by the main UK supermarket chains are grown in South Africa. Thanks to the policies of Tesco, Sainsbury et al, dozens of growers are being squeezed out of business. Some of these supermarkets don't even tell the supplier the price until the stuff is on the shelves and the selling price established.

The growers supplying Marks & Spencer and Waitrose -- smaller chains with a different philosophy and higher prices -- are doing quite well and supplying good quality.

The free market at its best?

Or bananas. The EU has been preferentially importing bananas from certain parts of the Caribbean (ex-French and British colonies), partly as a way to help them economically, but the USA has been applying pressure to permit better terms for Latin American bananas. Great, you might think. But who are the main suppliers from there? Companies like Del Monte, who are not famous for paying decent prices for bananas. Screwing the workers is ok?

Hooray for discounters?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Though your reply was to my post, I was only saying that (Free Market at it's best) directly in response to the particular case of low priced Mobil 1 oil at the discounters. In regard to many (most) other things, I am rather opposed to the leverage applied to suppliers by the big box stores. I generally do not do business with Walmart or Home Depot for that very reason.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Many UK service stations only have small shops attached, and usually only carry a small range of the most popular oils. Fully synthetic oils, especially Mobil 1 which is expensive, and not widely used, is therefore often not available off the shelf on a Sunday when the main service counter is closed. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

No, it doesn't "bugger up" anything. It means you won't get the full benefit of synthetic's durability, but the mix is still more robust than straight dino oil.

One would assume that after an episode such as the OP describes, he'd be heading for an oil change sooner than usual anyway.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

What would we city folk know about the Spartan realities of olde rural Englande...?

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Ok, "buggering up" is too strong a term, and I did qualify it. The fact remains that the synthetic's properties are degraded.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Have you any specifics as to which properties are degraded and by what significant amount?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

My understanding is that the longevity is compromised. (One of) the point/s of synthetic is great heat stability over a long period of time, whereas regular oil degrades more quickly. Thus any regular oil present in synthetic will burn up sooner, affecting the properties of the mix... Of course, as long as that is taken into account it is no problem for an engine, just as regular oil will work fine.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

I have never seen regular oil burn up in any engine so topping up is hardly likely to have any detectable effect. There are many high end mineral oils that are rated for longer and heavier duty than, for example, Mobil1 10w/30. Mind you, the 0w/40 viscosity of M1 is in a different and higher league not matched in any way by any mineral oil and only one semi-synthetic that I know of. The viscosity is incidental to the properties of those M1 oils. They have different chemistry and meet different performance standards.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Oil degradation means a reduction in lubrication capability. Synthetics last longer, in short.

Otherwise, what is the point of a synthetic?

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Some do and some don't

You tell me. The only thing that is really important is that any oil meets or exceeds the STANDARD required by the manufacturer for an application which has a specified servicing regime. You probably know that modern BMW engines fitted to BMW cars are required to use oil meeting certain specific BMW standards. What you may not know is that those same engines running the same service schedule [flexible and generally around 15000 miles] in non BMW applications can run on any oil meeting ACEA A3 for petrol or A3 and B3 for diesel and from 5w/30 to 10w/40 viscosity above -10C ambient. The interesting thing is that Mobil1 in some of those viscosity grades will not meet those standards while, what are considered to be, lesser oils will do. So you see it is not as simple as saying synthetic lasts longer. The base oil type is often not the limiting factor, or at least it is not that simple.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

"Dori A Schmetterling" wrote

Synthetic is also able to withstand higher temperatures and is more resistant to coking at these temperatures, although that may be more relevant to turbocharged engines.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Mineral oil is perfectly capable of withstanding Turbo temperatures. Oils meeting MB228.3 and ACEA E3 long drain specification for the heaviest duty use at extended drain intervals in highly stressed turbocharged engines are predominantly mineral based. Yes there is a much higher specification again for use up to 100,000 or more miles with by-pass filtration which can only be met using at least a semi-synthetic or fully synthetic base oil but this is a very extreme specification at the cutting edge of extreme duty lubrication. Again I have to stress that the performance 'standard' met by an oil is what is important, not the base oil. 'Synthetic' as a buzz word captures the imagination and is simple to get across if one is marketing to achieve a premium price in a crowded market.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

You live in the States Jeff. I live in darkest Suffolk in the UK. Swieg

Reply to
sweigelburger

Our gas prices work out at the same ratio too compared to the US:-( Sweig

Reply to
sweigelburger

In my town it is difficult to find anywhere open on a Sunday:-( Sweig

Reply to
sweigelburger

A-HA!

No motorway for milesandmiles...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

It must sound crazy but there are no motorways at all in Suffolk even though we have one of the major sea ports in the country. Sweig

Reply to
sweigelburger

True. We have lots of faults over here, but finding motor oil on Sunday isn't one of them. Go to the corner auto parts store and pick out a few bottles ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland