Low oil on a Sunday.

Page 2 of 2
wrote:

And at under half the YooKay price...
--
Dan.

You live in the States Jeff. I live in darkest Suffolk in the UK. Swieg
A-HA!
No motorway for milesandmiles...
DAS
< snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 23:26:13 -0000, "Dori A Schmetterling"

It must sound crazy but there are no motorways at all in Suffolk even though we have one of the major sea ports in the country. Sweig

True. We have lots of faults over here, but finding motor oil on Sunday isn't one of them. Go to the corner auto parts store and pick out a few bottles ...

Unless you're about to do a very long journey at extreme high speeds, leave it untill tomorrow. Unless it's leaking oil badly.
--
*Rehab is for quitters.

In a pinch, just add any old automotive oil. There is no problem caused by mixing dino and synthetics.
-- Larry
There is. Buggers up the properties of synthetic but, I agree, mixing won't cause any engine damage.
DAS
"pltrgyst" < snipped-for-privacy@spamlessxhost.org> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
No, it doesn't "bugger up" anything. It means you won't get the full benefit of synthetic's durability, but the mix is still more robust than straight dino oil.
One would assume that after an episode such as the OP describes, he'd be heading for an oil change sooner than usual anyway.
-- Larry

Ok, "buggering up" is too strong a term, and I did qualify it. The fact remains that the synthetic's properties are degraded.
DAS

Have you any specifics as to which properties are degraded and by what significant amount?
Huw
My understanding is that the longevity is compromised. (One of) the point/s of synthetic is great heat stability over a long period of time, whereas regular oil degrades more quickly. Thus any regular oil present in synthetic will burn up sooner, affecting the properties of the mix... Of course, as long as that is taken into account it is no problem for an engine, just as regular oil will work fine.
DAS

I have never seen regular oil burn up in any engine so topping up is hardly likely to have any detectable effect. There are many high end mineral oils that are rated for longer and heavier duty than, for example, Mobil1 10w/30. Mind you, the 0w/40 viscosity of M1 is in a different and higher league not matched in any way by any mineral oil and only one semi-synthetic that I know of. The viscosity is incidental to the properties of those M1 oils. They have different chemistry and meet different performance standards.
Huw
Oil degradation means a reduction in lubrication capability. Synthetics last longer, in short.
Otherwise, what is the point of a synthetic?
DAS

Some do and some don't

You tell me. The only thing that is really important is that any oil meets or exceeds the STANDARD required by the manufacturer for an application which has a specified servicing regime. You probably know that modern BMW engines fitted to BMW cars are required to use oil meeting certain specific BMW standards. What you may not know is that those same engines running the same service schedule [flexible and generally around 15000 miles] in non BMW applications can run on any oil meeting ACEA A3 for petrol or A3 and B3 for diesel and from 5w/30 to 10w/40 viscosity above -10C ambient. The interesting thing is that Mobil1 in some of those viscosity grades will not meet those standards while, what are considered to be, lesser oils will do. So you see it is not as simple as saying synthetic lasts longer. The base oil type is often not the limiting factor, or at least it is not that simple.
Huw
"Dori A Schmetterling" wrote

Synthetic is also able to withstand higher temperatures and is more resistant to coking at these temperatures, although that may be more relevant to turbocharged engines.
Pete

Mineral oil is perfectly capable of withstanding Turbo temperatures. Oils meeting MB228.3 and ACEA E3 long drain specification for the heaviest duty use at extended drain intervals in highly stressed turbocharged engines are predominantly mineral based. Yes there is a much higher specification again for use up to 100,000 or more miles with by-pass filtration which can only be met using at least a semi-synthetic or fully synthetic base oil but this is a very extreme specification at the cutting edge of extreme duty lubrication. Again I have to stress that the performance 'standard' met by an oil is what is important, not the base oil. 'Synthetic' as a buzz word captures the imagination and is simple to get across if one is marketing to achieve a premium price in a crowded market.
Huw

I know you already found it. For future reference, Esso stations also carry M1. I'm sure you've got Esso in the UK.
Cheers,
Pete
I think Mobil 1 is overkill on an M30 engine. I run it in my M42 but that's pretty high revving. On my fiance's M30 I use Castrol GTX Magnatex 15w40 synthetic.