M3 SMG BOXs

I here that the semi auto boxes on M3 BMW's have been responciable for damaged engines, and Ive been advise to give SMG equiped cars a wide birth .
(Im told its the launch control on the box that does the damage) Is this true about the boxes as the values of these cars are comparable

The SMG transmissions are not the problem. The engines are the problem.
Floyd
I take it that a M3 might not be the best second hand buy, would I be better going for a 330 ci?
wrote

Problem with an M3 as a used car buy is that they are the type of car that attracts drivers who like to flog the thing (it begs to be flogged) and that does not make for longevity.
I would not buy one that did not have at least two years of warranty left and whose previous owner I did not know and trust.
- GRL
wrote

How often can you buy a one year old car from someone you know and trust? And I'd also think that those who change to a new car every year would be mad to look after it well...
--
*Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

London SW

-

Who said the car being considered is only one year old? Certainly not the OP. That said, I wouldn't buy ANY one year old used car. Because the vast majority of units returning to the retail channel that soon are thrashed rental returns and lemons.
Rob

He wants two years of warranty left? I assume that means a one year old car, as you can buy a warranty - of a sort - for near any car.

Yup. With an M3, possibly a rich kid that must have a new one every year? And thrashes it to death from day one?
--
*Welcome to Shit Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

Don't forget, BMWs in the US get 48K/4years, so your assumption is invalid over here (and in CA, too, IIRC.)
Floyd
On 3/27/05 4:44 PM, in article LHG1e.18459$ snipped-for-privacy@fe03.lga, "GRL"

BMW's included. Constant flogging of an M3 on the street is going to get you into legal troubles very quickly. And the car's driveline and brakes are quite robust. Of course this doesn't include cars that spend a lot of time at the track, but a mechanic would uncover a beat up car pretty quickly. Why wouldn't any 330i/ci w/manual and sport package be just as prone?
On 3/27/05 4:18 AM, in article hMv1e.6150$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk,

not let you over rev due to downshift to a wrong gear, like a standard manual tranny would. There were engine problems, mostly in 01's, with a production wide recall through mid 03 to replace rod bearings. The problem appears solved. The SMG's are complex and have their own issues.

There were two separate recalls IIRC. One for rod bearings, and one for oil/oil pump. They also updated the engine controller program. I believe that they also extended the engine warranty to 100K miles. http://www.mbmw.com/e46_m3_engine_failure.htm
Floyd