M3 SMG BOXs

I here that the semi auto boxes on M3 BMW's have been responciable for damaged engines, and Ive been advise to give SMG equiped cars a wide birth . (Im told its the launch control on the box that does the damage) Is this true about the boxes as the values of these cars are comparable

Reply to
russell_a_smith

"russell_a_smith" wrote

The SMG transmissions are not the problem. The engines are the problem.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

Reply to
russell_a_smith

Problem with an M3 as a used car buy is that they are the type of car that attracts drivers who like to flog the thing (it begs to be flogged) and that does not make for longevity.

I would not buy one that did not have at least two years of warranty left and whose previous owner I did not know and trust.

- GRL

Reply to
GRL

How often can you buy a one year old car from someone you know and trust? And I'd also think that those who change to a new car every year would be mad to look after it well...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

BINGO - he just can't afford one.

Reply to
Harry

Who said the car being considered is only one year old? Certainly not the OP. That said, I wouldn't buy ANY one year old used car. Because the vast majority of units returning to the retail channel that soon are thrashed rental returns and lemons.

Rob

Reply to
+ Rob +

He wants two years of warranty left? I assume that means a one year old car, as you can buy a warranty - of a sort - for near any car.

Yup. With an M3, possibly a rich kid that must have a new one every year? And thrashes it to death from day one?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The SMG boxes are not responsible for engine damage. In fact, the SMG will not let you over rev due to downshift to a wrong gear, like a standard manual tranny would. There were engine problems, mostly in 01's, with a production wide recall through mid 03 to replace rod bearings. The problem appears solved. The SMG's are complex and have their own issues.

Reply to
John Stone

I'm not sure M3's are flogged any more than any other sporty car, regular BMW's included. Constant flogging of an M3 on the street is going to get you into legal troubles very quickly. And the car's driveline and brakes are quite robust. Of course this doesn't include cars that spend a lot of time at the track, but a mechanic would uncover a beat up car pretty quickly. Why wouldn't any 330i/ci w/manual and sport package be just as prone?

Reply to
John Stone

Don't forget, BMWs in the US get 48K/4years, so your assumption is invalid over here (and in CA, too, IIRC.)

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

There were two separate recalls IIRC. One for rod bearings, and one for oil/oil pump. They also updated the engine controller program. I believe that they also extended the engine warranty to 100K miles.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr