Manual Trasmission - 1990 BMW 325 is (E30)

I was driving.
All of a sudden, as I remember, my engine starts "freewheeling" - meaning there is no resistance - and my engine is running at a very high speed
"redlining"
I stopped the car, and started it again, in nuetral as I remember, and the car is redlining. I am at home now, and the car is 10 miles away, so I can't just run out and make observations. But one thing is for sure - I start her up - and the car redlines
Any ideas??????
I at least want an idea of what could be wrong before I tow it to a mechanic.
Thanks in advance.
- Ben
Well, first thing I'd comment on is that the throttle is stuck open. There is no other reason that the engine will run in this manner. A severe vacuum leak would not be metered and the fuel mixture would not allow the engine to run. Check that the throttle is free before you tow it anywhere. If you're not sure where the throttle is, please tow it to a shop :)