Manual vs. steptronic

Autos don't have a traditional clutch that wears out, no slave clylinder, no throwout bearing. In terms of durability I'd say they're pretty equal all in.

I drive a steptronic and a manual and around town the auto is great - foot down and off you go, no waiting for gear changes which on my car aren't very nice. I can't remember the last time I used the steptronic function. It's only when I'm "racing" somewhere that I might put it into sport first, then decide when to change up or down then back into auto again.

The biggest "issue" is that of the torque converter - in a manual the engine rpm is directly related to the cars speed so in twisty corners etc you get better control than the auto unless you're at high enough rpm to lock up the torque converter.

I grew up driving both autos and sticks so I'm not quite as biased as some others on here. If you like the auto now, then get one.

Reply to
adder1969

I too have driven both for a very long time - although when I learnt to drive autos were somewhat of a rarity in the UK. But since I'm fascinated by things mechanical I'm fascinated by autos. They may seem mundane to those brought up on them - but not to me. I look at each development - CVT, DSG etc - and think now is the answer to the efficiency issue with a torque convertor transmission. But am always disappointed with them in some way. Then 'they' improve the conventional auto.

I still enjoy driving a good manual under some conditions. But not everyday. And a good manual to me is still a four speed - no 5 or 6 I've driven has a perfect selector mechanism due to the extra plane. My ideal is a four with electrically operated overdrive. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You mean like parking at Luton airparks? ;-)

Reply to
adder1969

Like my Triumph 2500TC that I had from 1979 to 1981.

OTOH if you dropped it out of overdrive third at over ~90mph you would overspeed the engine!

Despite Triumph's reliability reputation, it only suffered one breakdown - the [over-used] throttle cable snapped on the M62. The RAC had it moving again within 40 minutes.

Boxes that have first opposite reverse (e.g. Renault 4) are a pain and IIRC BMW close ratio box layout is not ideal either. But a five or six speed box where the dentent is to the 3/4 axis are fine.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

My manual gearbox broke before my clutch wore out on my E36. That was at about 160k miles. I know some earlier BMW auto boxes had a limited life without proper maintenance, but in my BMW ownership the auto is ahead :-)

Reply to
adder1969

I'm not sure what a torque converter is exactly, I"ll look it up.

But if you're in sport mode, won't it keep the gear you're in unless you're at incredibly high rpms or low rpms? ie you can downshift before a corner and keep it in that gear all the way through...wouldn't that have the same effect of having your speed proportional to rpms?

Reply to
kpb

Ah - dunno. I live close to the Brighton line so always use rail to Gatwick. Last time I parked at an airport you walked to and from your car to the bus. And waited ages for the jump start trolley to arrive.;-) Hence preferring the train. As well as the stories about some of these firms parking up your car on some country road.

Of course I really meant what you see in US movies - you arrive at even a modest restaurant and they whisk the car away for you. Tyres smoking.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup. My brother has a Stag which has probably the same box and overdrive.

Easily prevented these days, though.

Wish I could say the same about his Stag. But to be fair it was bought as a project car. Not sure what the projected finish date is, though.

I'm rather uncertain which layout of many I dislike least. ;-)

The best box I ever had by far was funnily enough in a van. A GM Vauxhall Viva HA dating from the '60s. Just like operating a well engineered light switch. Wonder where things went wrong?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I used to use an outfit at Heathrow who parked your car for you.

One Friday afternoon in February 1990 I turn up to collect the my 735i and notice an oil track across the car park :-(

When I get in and reverse up I notice another oil track across the car park :-((

When I look under the car I notice oil pouring out of the bottom of the engine :-((((

So I switch off immediately and call the RAC. They diagnose the fault to the seal blowing out of the side of the oil filter, so they screw it up and top the oil.

Fortunately my contact at Altwood BMW in Slough has been promoted to service manager, so I call in a big favour and actually get to take it in and get it on a ramp at ~15:00 on a Friday.

The diagnosis is the same, but we replace the oil and filter just to be sure. I got another ten years out of the car without major unprovoked failure.

As it was February, what had obviosly happened was that the 'valet' driver had got in floored it when it was stone cold and blown out the seal - very lucky it wasn't a siezed engine!

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

I don't know what evidence you have for that statement. I've always been of the opinion that auto trannies are one thing that GM does pretty well.

Reply to
dizzy

Really? GM were way off the mark with introducing electronic control and multi speeds. Even Vauxhall and Opel who are owned by GM went to a different maker for a 4 speed in the '80s. Jaguar - before being owned by Ford - swapped to ZF after using GM for ages. Rolls too. BMW for some reason known only to themselves fitted 4 speed GM boxes to the E39 for US only - the rest of the world got the ZF 5 speed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not true, my daughter took her driver test on a manual, and passed first try. The biggest advantage is the grand you save. The mileage and maint. savings is not that significant anymore.

Reply to
LJ

For those of us in the USA, what's an E39?

Reply to
Squat

Oh, puhleaze. There are plenty of us in the USA that know perfectly well what an E39 is. Even us non-BMW drivers ;-)

It's the predecessor to the current model 5 series...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

You read this BMW group but have to ask?

It's the factory designation for the last generation 5 Series.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hmm... My "US" E46 has a GM-made 5-speed auto. Are you sure the E39 got a 4-speed? Me thinks you're mistaken.

Anyway, I will concede that GM trannies have not been "state of the art" in the last decade, but that doesn't make them unreliable (or "crap", as was asserted).

Reply to
dizzy

We've also have heard of google. 8)

Reply to
dizzy

The '96 -99 528 used the GM 4L30E, whereas BMW introduced the ZF 5HP18 on the E34 525 and continued with it in the Euro spec E39 6 cylinder models. It wasn't until 2000 that GM produced a 5 speed. Like nearly 10 years later. And if you've driven the two versions the five speed is simply light years ahead of the 4.

I wouldn't say the GM 180 as fitted to my 'other' car from the '80s is an example of a long lived transmission. It works well enough, though.

'Crap' really meant in relation to others. GM used to be the market leader in autos as well they might with such strong home sales. Hence the likes of Rolls Royce etc using them - and cost wasn't the object here. If the lead had subsequently been taken - like with so much else - by a third world country offering cheap prices through low labour costs then so be it

- but it wasn't, but Germany.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is why the last time I went to a "we park it for you whereever we like" carpark I took my '90 Carlton estate. They didn't move it very far.

Reply to
adder1969

Didn't they buy out Borg-Warner?

Anyway whilst the US were first to go for large scale adoption of auto boxes. In the US and UK most boxes remained three speed until very late on for instance an early 80's Rover 3500SD1 had either a five speed manual or a basic three speed auto, where top had the same ratio as 4th (25mph / 1krpm) in the manual and peak torque was < 100kmph. An equivalent 7 series of the time had a four speed auto with top at ~33mph/1krpm.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton