Mass air flow sensor

I have a 1994 530i with Check Engine lamp lit.

Replaced MAF with unit from junkyard, check engine lamp out nicely. Just for one day. Then the engine, while idling at a stop, sort of burped and the lamp came on.

Figuring I got a bad unit, I took the MAF back and got another. Check engine lamp still on.

What next? Any help appreciated.

Reply to
Bob

What code(s) are set?

Reply to
Bob Smitter

Well, whilst we are guessing, try an engine, engine ECU, a complete set of wiring harnesses, complete fuel system maybe some random sensors as well. That may or may not sort it. Who knows. Afterall, we are only guessing.

Sorry to be sarcastic, but seriously, why are you guessing? Take it to a dealer and find out what has put the light on. At least this will give some sort of indication where to look.

Reply to
Ali

I don't have a code reader. What's the one to buy?

Reply to
Bob

Forget buying - Autozone or Advance Auto (others too for sure) parts stores will read the codes for you free of charge.

Reply to
Bob Smitter

Thanks I'll give that a shot.

Reply to
Bob

Autozone doesn't have the right device. Theirs only fits 1995 and later, with plug on steering column. Not my car.

Reply to
Bob

What you need then is an OBD I device. Theirs is an OBD II scanner. You might find them at one of the aftermarket places. Jim

Reply to
Jim

So what's the right price for an OBD I scanner?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Can't say. There isn't much demand for such a scanner now... Jim

Reply to
Jim

Just hoping someone has one he can part with, or even give me info to build one.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Scratch that, I only have a service reset tool.

Reply to
Pashlipops

Try this site - it should work on your car!

John

Reply to
SeaAce

Thanks! I tried that but it doesn't work quite the way the book says. My codes keep repeating and I can't reset the lamp.

Reply to
Bob