Mass air flow sensor

I have a 1994 530i with Check Engine lamp lit.
Replaced MAF with unit from junkyard, check engine lamp out nicely. Just for one day. Then the engine, while idling at a stop, sort of
burped and the lamp came on.
Figuring I got a bad unit, I took the MAF back and got another. Check engine lamp still on.
What next? Any help appreciated.

What code(s) are set?
Well, whilst we are guessing, try an engine, engine ECU, a complete set of wiring harnesses, complete fuel system maybe some random sensors as well. That may or may not sort it. Who knows. Afterall, we are only guessing.
Sorry to be sarcastic, but seriously, why are you guessing? Take it to a dealer and find out what has put the light on. At least this will give some sort of indication where to look.

Ali wrote:

I don't have a code reader. What's the one to buy?

Forget buying - Autozone or Advance Auto (others too for sure) parts stores will read the codes for you free of charge.
Bob Smitter wrote:

Thanks I'll give that a shot.
Bob Smitter wrote:

Autozone doesn't have the right device. Theirs only fits 1995 and later, with plug on steering column. Not my car.

What you need then is an OBD I device. Theirs is an OBD II scanner. You might find them at one of the aftermarket places. Jim
Jim wrote:

So what's the right price for an OBD I scanner?
Bob

Can't say. There isn't much demand for such a scanner now... Jim
Just hoping someone has one he can part with, or even give me info to build one.
Bob

Scratch that, I only have a service reset tool.

Try this site - it should work on your car!
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/engine_codes.htm
John
SeaAce wrote:

Thanks! I tried that but it doesn't work quite the way the book says. My codes keep repeating and I can't reset the lamp.