master key for my 2001 525

just purchased from private party(my first and absolutely love it)i have three master keys and understand they must be kept charged. one of them worked a few times locking the door. any info would be greatly appreciated.
thank you, rrj

They normally come with two live ones and a correct key with the RFID, but without the remote electronics, although you can buy more ().
There were also chauffeur keys and an emergency key with no fob, but these can not get the alarm off.
To work remotely the keys do need to be kept charged up.
One of mine (similar year) recently failed on remote, so I drove around for a bit with the one that had been in a drawer for several years and then took it to my local BMW dealer, where they programmed it in a minute or two FoC. You can DIY this, but it gets messy if you cock up the timing.