Metric to English

I'm a brand new BMW owner, this last Sunday. It's a 91 325IC.

I have an owners manual coming in the mail but was wondering if someone could tell me how to get the little info center to read in English instead of Metric.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Ct Midnite

Ct Midnite

RTFM. It's worth the wait.

-- C.R. Krieger (BT, DT)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Do a search on convertor progs for your PC which will convert Metric to Imperial - as well as much else. There are many free ones. Can't give any recommendations as I don't use a PC or a Mac.

Think Google can also do this.

Or something like any Haynes WS manual. They give the methods of conversion.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That would in fact be Metric or Imperial.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

He's talking about the display.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

There is a button that says something to the effect of MPH/KM. Press it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The manual is in English.

The units are in the system prevailing in most of the world including England, namely System Internaionale. However in deference to the NASA scientists who crashed a half billion dollar satellite due to confusion over the Imperial units they were using (hey is that the empire you LEFT in

1776?) BMW's have a little button to switch between the consistent system and the "two firkin" system you may be used to...

OTOH I still have it show mpg....

A pound [sterling] is a pound [weight - originally of silver] is a [US] pint.

If you are a Unix user search your system for a file called "units".

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Hmm, how does that work outside of the UK where, for example, a gallon in the US of A is not the size of a UK (imperial) gallon, since Americano pints are somewhat smaller than imperial pints? Are your miles the same too? For a country that gets it's units the wrong size, maybe a standard system like metric would be the best, or maybe you could supersize the Metre?

Trunky

I believe it is Metric or American Standard, not imperial.

The options on the button are KM or MLS, and the result is a display that reads distance, speed, temp and consumption rates in metric form, or American standard. Since there is no "imperial" temperature or distance, and Miles Per Gallon is calcualted on a standard gallon, I do not think that "imperial" is one of the mesaurement options.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

For removal of doubt, which country is that?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

The folks on the far side of the pond would argue that American Standard in most cases is Imperial. After all, they came before you. They have a longer history of measuring things like distance in miles.

You Americans make me laugh, you have such a small view of the world, you think it's all in your backyard.

I am reminded about a similar situation a while ago. A citizen of the United States of America was standing in a line in London, England, waiting to get in to a theatre. There was much conversation happening, all about the upcoming play. The lady turned to the obviously British person behind her and said, "Can't you foreigners speak American like the rest of us?".

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Really? Would help if it was in English. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Great Britain aka the United Kingdom.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Oh, right. Then I won't make any silly comments about conquering the world in Imperial measure...

Just for the record: strictly, GB is NOT aka the UK. GB is (the greater) part of the UK.

:-) DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Uh, right you are.

Still, did you not think the story was funny, even if not quite representative of the folks that live south of me.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Well, an Imperial Gallon is different than a standard gallon, and America is perhaps the largest market in the world that isn't metric, so it makes sense that the options are metric or American Standard.

I, for one, do not pretend that the world is my backyard, but simple marketing strategy says that any multinational company - BMW for example - will cater to American interests if it intends to sell its products here. To pretend that American interests are not important from a marketing perspective is simply absurd.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yes, very.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Or how about the older American lady, on an Eight European Countries in Eight Days tour, remarked after another attempt to purchase a souvenir, "Why they all just learn English. If it was good enough for Jesus, it should be good enough for everyone."

UK-USA (Two countries separated by a common language)

Reply to
ti

None of which is relevant in the case in point, as the OBC in the E30 has 3 options. Metric, Imperial and 'merican.

To the original poster, look closely at the OBC unit. At the bottom left corner is a small push button that you use a ball point pen to push. Push the MPG button (assuming a US/UK face plate) and then press this little push button with a pen. The display will scroll with each press, from L/100 (litres per 100 kilometres) to M/G (Imperial miles per gallon) to MPG (miles per US gallon)

When you're at the setting you want, press any other button and you're finished. You use the same push button to set the clock and date, in conjunction with the 1000, 100, 10, 1 buttons.

Brett Anderson KMS - Koala Motorsport

KMS - Brett Anderson

Excuse me, I didn't know that. My car has two choices, not three. The third choice would make perfect sense to be imperial.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland