Minimum octane?

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 11:28:43 -0800, Floyd Rogers wrote:

That's a sad state of affairs that I didn't take into consideration.

Had there been a fact in his reply I would have considered its merit. I was simply amused by the "because I said so" nature of the reply. He's not the only person who seems to have made the assumption that my question was prompted by the price of gas and not my desire to keep my car on the road, healthy and happy, for many years to come. It's very, very pretty.

I'm morally opposed to smileys.
--
I told you this was going to happen.

wrote

I made no such assumption about the money you were willing/able to pay for fuel.
My response was in regards to the optimum performance.

Me too. But they help to keep one from looking like a smart ass, or worse. (You asked a question, then put yourself in a position to look as though you were arguing with the response; this is worse than a smart ass.)
<wink>
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 19:56:02 +0000, Jeff Strickland wrote:

Hypocrisy is a funny thing.
--
I told you this was going to happen.

You're arguing with the answer again ...

You didn't ask that.
What you asked was an open ended question that inferred a dispute with the recommended fuel requirement. I attempted to address the requirement.

Your original question that I replied to made no mention of difference in American and European fuels. I can go back and get your original post if you would like ...
You asked, for my opinion on the recommended fuel. My recommendation is, use what they recommend.
If there is a difference in US and European markets then the recommendation(s) will be tailored to the market. They will not give european specs for fuel consumed in USA cars. Where they list specs from different markets, they will list the appropriate market's spec first, then give the other market's spec in parenthesis, ie: 5 gallons (20 liters), 1 jinch (25.4mm) 91 Octane (95 RON) -- or whatever the correlation between octane and RON is.
Put in what they suggest ...
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 19:50:13 +0000, Jeff Strickland wrote:

Actually I didn't infer a dispute with the recommended fuel requirement. I, in fact, stated, in no uncertain terms, conflict and confusion between opinions about the proper fuel to put in my car and asked for opinions.

With a directive unsupported by fact or opinion.
--
I told you this was going to happen.

Except for the fact given by the automaker, and my opinion that you should follow their recommendation.
Put in what they suggest.
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:12:43 +0000, Jeff Strickland wrote:

...and you determined the standard that was being used by the manual how?
--
I told you this was going to happen.

How? By the knowledge that people that write such stuff do so after rigorous testing, ond or compliance to engineering requirements. Technical Writers do not pull shit out of thin air and put it on paper, they are fed data and/or engineering requirements, and put that on paper.
If the manufacturer says shit stinks, I do not put my nose in it to see if they are right. If they tell me the requirement is 91 ocatane, I accept that as factual.
It is my opinion that the standard is accurate because I have 15 years expereince writing technical stuff, and I know that technical writers do not pull stuff out of thin air and put it on paper. I also know that big-name companies do not want lies and missrepresentations put onto paper. As a general rule, they work very hard to ensure there are no errors in the information that gets put onto paper -- although we all know that errors make it to print.
Put in what they suggest ...

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:37:11 +0000, Jeff Strickland wrote:

Metric mishap caused loss of NASA orbiter http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02 /
"NASA lost a $125 million Mars orbiter because a Lockheed Martin engineering team used English units of measurement while the agency's team used the more conventional metric system for a key spacecraft operation, according to a review finding released Thursday."
Care to revise your statement?

Except that as Tom explains in the thread, though his 325i states its required octane in American standards his BMW motorcycle states its required octane in European standards.
I'm sure you're a very good technical writer... but I've made no dispute of the information in the manual. The manual doesn't specify what fuel standard is being used, you can therefore make no assumption of what standard is being used.
--
I told you this was going to happen.

Ivan Marsh wrote:

Ask Jeffy how old he thinks the Earth is.
Who has time for this horseshit? Is this is a contest to determine who can muster more absolute blather than the next guy?
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 07:00:23 -0600, major_A wrote:

You win!
--
I told you this was going to happen.