Model number

I was wondering why BMW's in Europe appear to be named E39 or something similar. I live in Florida and have a 1988 735i. Could someone please tell me what this would be called with the other system? Thanks in advance.

E32
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/e_code.shtml
Tom K.

Could be E23 if was an end of line...

See my site's E&M numbers page for an explanation. A US 88 could be either a late E23 or an early E32. In the UK it would be an E32, we got the E32 in late 87. But I think the US was about a year later?
John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

Thank you both for the info. I don't know when the car was sold, I am the third owner. I got it in 2001 with 110k miles and perfect shape. It was the family car for my ex-wife's sister. Her husband owns a large foreign car repair shop so I got it fixed for free.

Another good indication of build date (if in pristine condition and never been pranged) is the date stamp on the rear light lens. Not to be confused with the VIN code but for a quick check it worth having a peek at the date mark.
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

It needs a new viscous coupling. This is a wax element that sits in the middle of the main cooling fan. It's held on by a REVERSE THREAD 32mm nut.

This is a symptom of a failed fan clutch.
I don't even change my oil. Anyway, once I start moving,

Except for the part about changing oil, this is also a symptom of a fan clutch.