MP3 player for 2001 BMW 540i E39

Hi,

I am new to this news group and so I apologize if someone has already asked this. I am interested in changing out my stock CD player with something that plays MP3 CDs. I am not interested in FM transmitters or plugins for MP3 players. I had stopped by Best Buy but most MP3 car audio players had knobs which would interfere with the lid which goes over the stock CD player.

Does anyone have experience changing out their 540i CD players?

- VG

Reply to
VG

Triple posting?

There is no aftermarket player that will fit the BMW business CD area and allow the hinged cover to work. You can buy an adapter that'll fit a more modern player into the BMW space (I think they are ugly) but the cover will be removed in the installation.

If you insist on stock and NOT mp3 players (the dension icelink is a very slick install for an ipod), then you can install an alpine CD/MP3 changer in the trunk. It's mechanically identical to the BMW unit, but requires an adapter from blitzsafe or similar to adapt its I-bus connection to the BMW M-bus.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

On 6/17/2006 5:31 AM, John Carrier went clickity-clack on the keyboard and produced this interesting bit of text:

Could you elaborate on this? I have an '94 E34 with the trunk-mounted CD changer and it doesn't handle CDs with MP3s on it. I'd love to upgrade this to increase the amount of music I can carry while lowering the number of discs I haul around.

Reply to
Voinin

Thanks! Got a little trigger happy with the send button and hence the triple posting. Let me look into the Dension system.

Thanks,

VG

Reply to
VG

Don't know the specifics of the E34 CD changer (Pioneer? Alpine?) nor the car's bus. You should be able to do a Google for the information. I'm sure that the maker of the OEM changer has a similar form factor CD/MP3 changer. It will likely require a bus adapter ... there are several suppliers of such on the market. I'm sure your car's head unit can (through the bus adapter) control an MP3 unit ... although it will likely just list CD1-6 and tracks

01-100.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

On 6/17/2006 11:20 AM, John Carrier went clickity-clack on the keyboard and produced this interesting bit of text:

The last bit about listing the CDs and tracks is what I expected considering the limitations of audio CDs (up to 99 tracks) so I'd just keep all the songs in the root folder and limit the number. I'm not sure who makes the changer either. What's the easiest way to find out? I googled for info and it seems that both Alpine and Pioneer were used for 91-94 without regard to body type. I found this page and it's pretty confusing to me:

Voinin

On 6/17/2006 11:20 AM, John Carrier went clickity-clack on the keyboard and produced this interesting bit of text:

Okay, my last message was a bit premature. It seems that when I push the PROG/- buttons it says, "BMW PIONEER3". Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anything on this. Man, this is frustrating.

Reply to
Voinin

The E34 didn't use a bus configuration for the trunk CD player. It was all analog. There may be an adapter for a simple analog setup for it somewhere, but I doubt if you could control it with the radio controls.

Since the E34 uses a standard DIN type radio mounting - you may want to look at

and see what they offer that could be used in-dash, and I suspect they'll have adapter for plug and play to the stock harness.

Reply to
admin