my bmw radio requires code

I have a bmw 735i 1989. My battery was dead and when Its charged, the radio require codes to get it back on . I don't have the code, and I removed the
radio to look for serial number, but the S/N is not there anymore . There are some numbers like ID number, but there is no S/N. I went to dealership to help me check it out , but to no avail. Please, what can I do . I need your help. I have been driving this car without music.
go here... http://www.bimmer.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f

demosco wrote:

If there is truely nothing the dealer can do, as opposed to what he is willing to do for you, then toss the radio in the trash. Never heard of any "majic" or "secret" way of getting the code from the radio. If there was one, then they would not really be theft proof.......
Cheers

It's part of the serial number on some...
--
*Taxation WITH representation ain't much fun, either.

Weird wrote:

Do yourself a huge favor and heave that POS radio as far as you can. Then replace it with a decent head unit with an in-dash CD player. If you have the CD Changer in the trunk, remove it and put it up for sale on eBay and you'll probably recoup the cost of your new (better) head unit.
--
-Fred W

demosco wrote:

Call on another dealer. The service person at the one you used is either:
1) an arrogant jerk who obviously doesn't *want* to help you or
2) an ignorant jerk who is too *stupid* to help you.
Give them the VIN of the *car* (assuming the radio is the original) and they should be able to give you the code numbers. If it is not the original radio, I would still expect they can obtain the code by using the numbers on the unit itself.
FWIW, I have never had to pay for this service. The dealerships I have dealt with all did it as a courtesy to me. -- C.R. Krieger (BT, DT)