My clutch does not return from the floor once depressed, on my 1990 535i

My clutch does not return from the floor on my 1990 535i. It seems to happen less when the car is cool, but has been progressively getting worse over the past three days. Once the clutch is stuck I cannot get
the transmission into gear, and I have to use my toe to pull the clutch pedal back up, at which point I can typically get it into gear. The next time it maywork fine. I am afraid that it is the release bearing. I would like to do the work myself. Does this diagnosis sound correct and if so would a novice/intermediate mechanic be in over their head in attempting this fix. Any advice is much apprecaited, Thanks Luke

90% chance that it's the slave cylinder. 9% chance it's the master cylinder. 0.9% chance it's the clutch. 0.1% chance it's the throw-out bearing.
Slave cylinder is cheap and easy to replace, on the bell housing on the left side.
FloydR
You rock, I would hug you if I could.
Floyd Rogers wrote:

Check the hydraulic fluid reservoir first. It is designed so that if there is a leak the clutch stops working first before the brakes do...
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:20:32 -0700, "Floyd Rogers"

I concur with this diagnosis 100%. The fluid being low merely suggests a leak. If you see anything dripping out from between the engine and the tranny at the bottom of the bellhousing, the slave is definitely bad. If the carpet is wet below the clutch, it's the master. Much easier to change the slave...