My first BMW !!!

Today I get my BMW E36 (318 is coupè)

I have my first question: When I setup the clock (where you read also the external temperature), when I shut down the car, the time is lost, and at the restart I have to setup it again. Why ?

Thank so much So happy to join you

*FeDe*
Reply to
*FeDe*

It could be any of a number of electrical problems I'd guess. It's a used Beamer, and used (and sometimes even new) Beamers often have electrical problems. I've had quite a few, as have other Beamer owners. The electrical engineering in these cars ain't what it could be. We Beamer owners sometimes just learn to live with--and accept--these little foibles

---------- "Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it."

----Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 2001

-- Cliff

Reply to
clifffreeling

First step is to check there are no blown fuses. Then check all the cables connected to the +ve battery terminal are secure.

Reply to
John Burns

Aren't Fisher Price inventive.

Reply to
Jo Ling

On the other hand, we *BMW enthusiasts* know the terminology:

A 'Bimmer' is a BMW car.

A 'Beemer' is a BMW bike.

A 'Beamer' is an old fart who drives his Buick (or Rover) around with the high beams on all the time. In evolutionary terms, he is one step above those who refer to BMWs as 'Beamers'.

*We* also know better than to post an inane and totally worthless guess like yours.

It is possible that the O.P.'s computer normally resets to a time display as does mine. The exception is if the temperature is under 36 degrees F., in which case it will display temperature and sound the 'Mystery Gong'. However, I am not even certain what the 'problem' is here. Is it that the clock goes completely dead and must be reset for time/day/etc.? In that case, I'd check the wiring circuit supplying power to the computer. It could be a faulty ignition switch.

-- C.R. Krieger Badger *Bimmers* BMW CCA

Reply to
E28 Guy©

No to mention the Bee-Em, as found in the UK at times...

:-) DAS Not necessarily a "BMW enthusiast"...

Dori A Schmetterling

Wouldn't that be BMV? ;)

Reply to
Alan LeHun

Oi. I've got a Rover. And it gives many a BMW grief at the traffic light grand prix. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Wed, 10 May 2006 09:57:39 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" waffled on about something:

Will you leave my 325 TDS auto alone! Damn Rovers! Grrrr!

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

Maybe that's it. I'm not too enthusiastic about Beamers anymore. BMW is just a brand of automobile. Get a life.

Mine seems unable to switch from 24-hour time mode, at present...

It's gong time at 38 F with my car, but who's counting...

Some people seem to have the idea that the letters BMW actually mean something.

-- Cliff

Reply to
clifffreeling

On 10 May 2006 07:38:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com waffled on about something:

Only if you speak German, unless you're talking about "Baileys, Malibu and Whisky"

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

I prefer your version, but what's wrong with Bavarian Motor Works?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

My daughter, and she's only 12, has a completely different set of words for it. Ooh matron.

Reply to
Jo Ling

On Wed, 10 May 2006 22:15:02 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling" waffled on about something:

Well that's not strictly speaking what it stands for, that's a translation of what it stands for, that just luckily ends up with the right letters.

Bayerische Motoren Werke.

Just imagine what would happen if the French literally translated it.

Travaux bavarois de moteur! (or something like that!)

And just to chuck a bit more high octane fuel onto the fire of what to call a BMW car, the Germans call them Baum Vays (that's my attempt at translating their pronunciation into English!).

And just for amusement, you know those AMG Merc's? Do you know how the Germans pronounce AMG? Think about it...

Dodgy

Reply to
Dodgy

On Wed, 10 May 2006 22:39:56 +0100, "Jo Ling" waffled on about something:

The one I always remember is "Black Man's Wheels".

Just please, don't send the political correctness police after me! I'm only recounting something from history!

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

Never heard that one, but apt, at least for a while.:) Now they seem to gravitate toward the big/HUGE SUVs with gigantic chrome wheels.

Shit dude, no need to apologize. Don't get me wrong about Beamers. I put them down a lot here, but it's just due to the experience I've had with mine (and some things I've learned about them). Like MB, they are definitely overrated as automobiles IMO. But I do still love the BMW look and style, and they make the best engines in the world. Unfortunately, there's a lot more to a car than an engine.

-- Cliff

Reply to
clifffreeling

I've had three - all 5 Series of different types - and they've been no worse than any other car even at high mileage. No major failures on any. Some parts like suspension bushes have a shorter life than others - but if all you want is long lived suspension and don't care about handling or refinement get a car with beam axles and cart springs.

But I don't expect *any* car to be totally reliable over a vast mileage and get suspicious of those who claim to have one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 11 May 2006 05:24:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com waffled on about something:

Bimmers! :o)

I was more worried about the racial association getting me in trouble! As for putting the marquee down, well if you've got a BMW and it's giving you grief, then as far as I'm concerned you have every right.

Personally I'm on my second E36 325 diesel auto, and really can't find anything to complain about, perfectly reliable, with no nasty surprises you wouldn't expect from a 10 year old, 110k+ mile car.

In 6 months I've replaced one central locking actuator (which I took off the old car), one leaking master injector (also from the old car) and a set of new glow plugs as a precaution before last winter.

Even at new prices those bits would have only been about £200, so given my 400 mile a week usage I don't think it's bad at all. Plus it's regularly returning 40mpg on long runs. (I service it myself too - I don't mind getting my hands dirty).

The only reason I'm not still driving round in the original one E36 is some idiot parked his van into the boot at about 30mph and he creased the boot floor and both rear quarters... However I was still able to drive home, which was more than could be said for his van!

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

Whaddya do, Dave, moon 'em? =3D8^O Leave 'em blinded in a haze of blue smoke? =3D;^)

You know the type: Straining forward to get a glimpse of road between the top of the steering wheel and the top of the dash; not sentient enough to notice that the high beams are on; and perpetually signalling a left turn ... or maybe a right turn, in your country. Maybe I meant Vauxhall. Over here, it's definitely Buicks. Green 4-doors, in particular. Ought to have legislation requiring "Slow Moving Vehicle" triangles permanently affixed to the rear.

At least you have the credentials and 'seat time' to intelligently complain about your BMWs. I also notice that you, like me, take the truly economical route of typing 'BMW' instead of trying and failing to properly spell a cutesy nickname for a marque.

-- C=2ER. Krieger

Reply to
E28 Guy©

;-) Uses no oil between changes. Just plenty of CO2 - and others since it is pre-cat.

Dunno what the stereotype is here. Volvo or Honda, possibly. Would have been Morris Minor with the driver wearing a trilby, but they're 'cult' cars these days.

It's just a car. Much as I may like it, don't believe in silly names. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)