My first BMW !!!

Page 1 of 2
Today I get my BMW E36 (318 is coup)
I have my first question: When I setup the clock (where you read also the external temperature), when I shut down the car, the time is lost, and at the restart I have to setup it
again. Why ?
Thank so much So happy to join you *FeDe*
*FeDe* wrote:

It could be any of a number of electrical problems I'd guess. It's a used Beamer, and used (and sometimes even new) Beamers often have electrical problems. I've had quite a few, as have other Beamer owners. The electrical engineering in these cars ain't what it could be. We Beamer owners sometimes just learn to live with--and accept--these little foibles
---------- "Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it."
----Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 2001
-- Cliff
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

On the other hand, we *BMW enthusiasts* know the terminology:
A 'Bimmer' is a BMW car.
A 'Beemer' is a BMW bike.
A 'Beamer' is an old fart who drives his Buick (or Rover) around with the high beams on all the time. In evolutionary terms, he is one step above those who refer to BMWs as 'Beamers'.
*We* also know better than to post an inane and totally worthless guess like yours.
It is possible that the O.P.'s computer normally resets to a time display as does mine. The exception is if the temperature is under 36 degrees F., in which case it will display temperature and sound the 'Mystery Gong'. However, I am not even certain what the 'problem' is here. Is it that the clock goes completely dead and must be reset for time/day/etc.? In that case, I'd check the wiring circuit supplying power to the computer. It could be a faulty ignition switch. -- C.R. Krieger Badger *Bimmers* BMW CCA
No to mention the Bee-Em, as found in the UK at times...
:-) DAS Not necessarily a "BMW enthusiast"...
"E28 Guy" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@j73g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Oi. I've got a Rover. And it gives many a BMW grief at the traffic light grand prix. ;-)
--
*What are the pink bits in my tyres? Cyclists & Joggers*

On Wed, 10 May 2006 09:57:39 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Will you leave my 325 TDS auto alone! Damn Rovers! Grrrr!
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Whaddya do, Dave, moon 'em? =8^O Leave 'em blinded in a haze of blue smoke? =;^)
You know the type: Straining forward to get a glimpse of road between the top of the steering wheel and the top of the dash; not sentient enough to notice that the high beams are on; and perpetually signalling a left turn ... or maybe a right turn, in your country. Maybe I meant Vauxhall. Over here, it's definitely Buicks. Green 4-doors, in particular. Ought to have legislation requiring "Slow Moving Vehicle" triangles permanently affixed to the rear.
At least you have the credentials and 'seat time' to intelligently complain about your BMWs. I also notice that you, like me, take the truly economical route of typing 'BMW' instead of trying and failing to properly spell a cutesy nickname for a marque. -- C.R. Krieger

;-) Uses no oil between changes. Just plenty of CO2 - and others since it is pre-cat.

Dunno what the stereotype is here. Volvo or Honda, possibly. Would have been Morris Minor with the driver wearing a trilby, but they're 'cult' cars these days.

It's just a car. Much as I may like it, don't believe in silly names. ;-)
--
*Strip mining prevents forest fires.

E28 Guy wrote:

Maybe that's it. I'm not too enthusiastic about Beamers anymore. BMW is just a brand of automobile. Get a life.
<Press Name Argument button now>

<Press Stop Name Argument button now>

Mine seems unable to switch from 24-hour time mode, at present...

It's gong time at 38 F with my car, but who's counting...
Some people seem to have the idea that the letters BMW actually mean something.
-- Cliff
On 10 May 2006 07:38:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com waffled on about something:

Only if you speak German, unless you're talking about "Baileys, Malibu and Whisky"
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

I prefer your version, but what's wrong with Bavarian Motor Works?
DAS
"Dodgy" < snipped-for-privacy@earth.planet.universe> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Wouldn't that be BMV? ;)
--
Alan LeHun

On Wed, 10 May 2006 22:15:02 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling"
Well that's not strictly speaking what it stands for, that's a translation of what it stands for, that just luckily ends up with the right letters.
Bayerische Motoren Werke.
Just imagine what would happen if the French literally translated it.
Travaux bavarois de moteur! (or something like that!)
And just to chuck a bit more high octane fuel onto the fire of what to call a BMW car, the Germans call them Baum Vays (that's my attempt at translating their pronunciation into English!).
And just for amusement, you know those AMG Merc's? Do you know how the Germans pronounce AMG? Think about it...
Dodgy
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

1) BMW. Never heard that. On the wacky 'baccy?
2) AMG. Sounds only vaguely similar to an unrelated English phrase and certainly has no resonances in German.
DAS

Yeah: "Mach schnell".
Ah. Got it. Hmm, niiice.

On Thu, 11 May 2006 22:17:36 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling"
Well I'm only going on what my German friend told me!

Well I didn't honestly think it would mean anything like that in German! It's just amusing for a Brit to hear how the German's say it.
Guess it's still not as bad as trying to sell a Nova (either the Chevy version or the Vauxhall) to Spanish speakers. That's gotta be my fave.
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Just so we're clear, you said "Baum Vays".
A Baum ('baoom') is a tree. Bay Em Vay is probably the nearest phonetic rendering in English, albeit not very good.
It's just the letters. I am not aware of local versions of Beamer, Bimmer, Be-Em etc.
DAS

Indeed. And similarly a Vee-Doubleyou translates to Fow-Vay in German. Strange, nicht wahr?
Why (is that strange)...?...
DAS
"Jo Ling" < snipped-for-privacy@disney.com> wrote in message
news:44761589$1 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...