My first BMW !!!

A German boy I met many years ago filled me in: Bayerischer Mistwagen.

(translation: Crap Bavarian Car)

-- Mike

PS Maybe it's been discussed here already, but one BMW model makes the list of 50 cars in the book Crap Cars. It's a miniature coffee table book which I'm sure will bring back many memories.

Reply to
michael.poplawski
1) BMW. Never heard that. On the wacky 'baccy?

2) AMG. Sounds only vaguely similar to an unrelated English phrase and certainly has no resonances in German.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Yeah: "Mach schnell".

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Ah. Got it. Hmm, niiice.

Reply to
Jo Ling

On Thu, 11 May 2006 22:17:36 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling" waffled on about something:

Well I'm only going on what my German friend told me!

Well I didn't honestly think it would mean anything like that in German! It's just amusing for a Brit to hear how the German's say it.

Guess it's still not as bad as trying to sell a Nova (either the Chevy version or the Vauxhall) to Spanish speakers. That's gotta be my fave.

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

Just so we're clear, you said "Baum Vays".

A Baum ('baoom') is a tree. Bay Em Vay is probably the nearest phonetic rendering in English, albeit not very good.

It's just the letters. I am not aware of local versions of Beamer, Bimmer, Be-Em etc.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Indeed. And similarly a Vee-Doubleyou translates to Fow-Vay in German. Strange, nicht wahr?

Reply to
Jo Ling

Why (is that strange)...?...

DAS