My first BMW !!!

Page 2 of 2

My daughter, and she's only 12, has a completely different set of words for it. Ooh matron.
waffled on about something:

The one I always remember is "Black Man's Wheels".
Just please, don't send the political correctness police after me! I'm only recounting something from history!
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Dodgy wrote:

Never heard that one, but apt, at least for a while.:) Now they seem to gravitate toward the big/HUGE SUVs with gigantic chrome wheels.

Shit dude, no need to apologize. Don't get me wrong about Beamers. I put them down a lot here, but it's just due to the experience I've had with mine (and some things I've learned about them). Like MB, they are definitely overrated as automobiles IMO. But I do still love the BMW look and style, and they make the best engines in the world. Unfortunately, there's a lot more to a car than an engine.
-- Cliff

I've had three - all 5 Series of different types - and they've been no worse than any other car even at high mileage. No major failures on any. Some parts like suspension bushes have a shorter life than others - but if all you want is long lived suspension and don't care about handling or refinement get a car with beam axles and cart springs.
But I don't expect *any* car to be totally reliable over a vast mileage and get suspicious of those who claim to have one.
--
*Born free - taxed to death *

On 11 May 2006 05:24:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com waffled on about something:

Bimmers! :o)
I was more worried about the racial association getting me in trouble! As for putting the marquee down, well if you've got a BMW and it's giving you grief, then as far as I'm concerned you have every right.
Personally I'm on my second E36 325 diesel auto, and really can't find anything to complain about, perfectly reliable, with no nasty surprises you wouldn't expect from a 10 year old, 110k+ mile car.
In 6 months I've replaced one central locking actuator (which I took off the old car), one leaking master injector (also from the old car) and a set of new glow plugs as a precaution before last winter.
Even at new prices those bits would have only been about 200, so given my 400 mile a week usage I don't think it's bad at all. Plus it's regularly returning 40mpg on long runs. (I service it myself too - I don't mind getting my hands dirty).
The only reason I'm not still driving round in the original one E36 is some idiot parked his van into the boot at about 30mph and he creased the boot floor and both rear quarters... However I was still able to drive home, which was more than could be said for his van!
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

A German boy I met many years ago filled me in: Bayerischer Mistwagen.
(translation: Crap Bavarian Car)
-- Mike
PS Maybe it's been discussed here already, but one BMW model makes the list of 50 cars in the book Crap Cars. It's a miniature coffee table book which I'm sure will bring back many memories.

First step is to check there are no blown fuses. Then check all the cables connected to the +ve battery terminal are secure.
Aren't Fisher Price inventive.