My First BMW - 3 Series Convertible

Page 2 of 2
Nedavno Tom K. napisa:

I'll try that.
--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
Nedavno Scott Dorsey napisa:

The closest dealer is in Greece. Not that it makes any difference.

I'll try and find someone that may be traveling soon to Greece to bring me some. Thank you.
--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
Nedavno Scott Dorsey napisa:

Perhaps I can try some brands that are present here.
MOBIL. You have LS 75W-90:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_1_Fully_Synthetic_Gear_Lube_75W-90LS.aspx
We have MOBILUBE 1 SHC 75W90:
http://www.oilgroup.co.yu/mobil/pages/mid/lube_1shc.htm
I wonder what is difference...
We also have Valvoline, Castrol and some other brands. Any thoughts?
--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **

These are gear oils more for things like the diff. The LS contains friction modifiers for LS diffs. I would have thought that the transmission would take MTL or ATF. Surely import duty can't be all that much can it? When I ordered redline in the UK it sounded like the guy was just working from his garage at home and I couldn't find Mobil synthetic anywhere.
I put redline in my E36, noticed no difference, and a little while later the gearbox failed. I fitted a used gearbox and put regular oil in, again noticed no difference in shifting.
Nedavno adder1969 napisa:

You are right. I just tried to find manual transmission synthetic oil on Castrol and Valvoline site (brands that are present in Serbia), and I couldn't. Only ATF and gear (diff) oil.
Anyone with a link?

I recently bought an item at eBay for US$50 (plus US$20 for shipping). When it arrived I had to pay US$45 for customs and taxes :-( It is not linear (I would not pay $450 for $500 item), but it's too much.

It would be much cheaper to go to the shop and ask if they can get what I want, but only for brands that are officially present here.

:-( I am more and more convinced that I should not change my gearbox oil. It's only when I get into fast traffic from a parking that I wish I can slip into second gear more easily :-)
--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **

Actually 4 yrs./50k miles

There's a dash readout which calculates maintenance intervals depending on driving conditions using approx. 15,000 miles as a baseline. The basic service is called an "Oil Service" and involves an oil (synthetic) & filter change, a cabin air filter change as well as some inspections. The cost (after the free maintenance period) by a dealer is about $325.00. At approximately 30k, the service is called "Inspection I" and is a bit more elaborate for around $500.00. Certain items are time based such as brake fluid (2 yrs.) and radiator coolant (4 yrs.), and spark plugs and O2 sensors are called for at 100k.
If you do not put on 15k within a year, your free maintenance will cover an oil/filter change annually.
Some of us prefer more frequent oil changes. My dealer charges about $85 for an "Interim Oil Change" (as opposed to the above mentioned "Oil Service") which I have done midway between the scheduled services.
Also, my dealer (I assume they're typical of BMW dealers) provides a free service loaner (albeit not a BMW) an does an excellent car wash.

You'll love it!
Tom K.

Question: The local BMW dealer touts no maintenance costs for the 1st 50k miles or 4 years whichever comes first. Is this a maintenance contract (usually very expensive) or built into the price of the car. Of course, the 1st 50k should be inexpensive given that service costs au to that point are usually limited to oil changes, tire rotation, filters and the like.

It's built into the price of the car. And unfortunately, when BMW did that, they increased the service intervals substantially. I'd do a lot more fluid changes than the dealer now recommends, which means a lot more than the dealer will pay for on that plan. --scott

Actually, the service intervals were increased a few years after the "free" maintenance introduction - The 15k oil change started with the changeover to OEM synthetic engine oil around 1999.
Tom K.

As Scott mentions, it's built into the price. Tire rotations are not recommended on BMWs. A DIY oil change is around $30 parts. Air and cabin filters are cheap and easy, if you want to change them more often. Brake pads and rotors usually last 60K, but sometimes go as early as 45K. That's about it for wear items for the first 50K.
FloydR
wrote Question: The local

I take it that the rotors usually have to be replaced at the same time as the pads. This must mean the rotors are too thin to resurface. Brake job then is expensive.

Not always, but sometimes. A lot of folks just do it anyway if the car is being driven heavily, since the rotors are so cheap. --scott

Pro: It's a car.
Con: It's a convertible.

Join the BMW Car Club of America. It's $40 a year, gets you a $500 discount on any new/certified BMW purchase (alas, after one year of membership), and comes with a subscription to The Roundel, their superb magazine that is every bit as good as Road & Track, Car and Driver, Automobile, and so on. The magazine has excellent articles about new BMW's and the care and feeding of BMW's. There is an excellent technical support column. They tell it like it is about BMW's and that means you hear about the good, the bad, and the really stupid things BMW does. Once you are out of warranty, you really do need a support group if you are going to own a BMW and BMWCCA is a great one.
I always wanted a BMW and bought an E46 330i zhp a few years ago. It is a good sports sedan and I still own it/like it, but it is not the sports sedan nirvana I thought it would be.
I also own a 1992 Lexus LS400 that we have had for almost 14 years. While not a sports sedan like the zhp and it gets much worse mileage, to boot, it is, overall, a significantly better car than the BMW. I never regret getting the LS. I occasionally regret getting the 330i instead of an STI or EVO, for the same money.
All that is by way of saying BMW hype can (which is not to say it will) overwhelm BMW ownership reality.
GRL
On Dec 29 2007, 1:28pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (RICK DAVIS) wrote:

If you can afford it, and you get good one with a good dealer support then you'll be happy. However, most people's BMW owning experience turns sour when something goes wrong and the dealer turns out to be incompetent. ..and the sourness is usually proportional to the money that you've spent on it. It seem to be that BMW dealers rely on their customers having more money than sense.
In terms of maintenance they don't require anything special. Just oil changes and periodic inspections.
Very few people on a budget should be considering a brand new car.