My first BMW...

Page 2 of 2
Hi Mike.
I currently own a BMW 318i E36 1993 model.
I wish I thought to visit this forum before buyig the car.
The car started with 104000 kilometres on the odometer in 2001. It now has
around 180000.
For the first 60000 kilometres since I had it, I really regreted buying the car. I was starting to miss the car I gave to my brother when I bought the BMW.
I had the following problems:
· camshaft
· ball joints
· suspension arms at the front
· cooling - this was the worst
· radiator
· water pump
· differential
· tappet / ticking noise
· camshaft (again!)
· tappets
· rockers
The car just seemed to "break" during that period up to 60000 kilometres. The tappet ticking noise is the last problem I have dealt with.
I recommend having a mechanic you trust and can build a trusting customer/provider relationship with. You'll need and appreciate it! Also, a mechanic that can pre-empt problems before they happen while driving a long from home is an high advantage. It saved me from being stranded! Of course my mechanic is quite experienced with BMWs and other European cars.
Also, a good cash flow will not go astray.
Since the above repairs, my car feels more reliable than when I initially bought it. I am now going to do some minor mods to it like a nice exhaust and decent stereo. The factory fitted stereo receiver no longer picks up FM (another problem) and the right-indicator in the dash-board cluster does not glow.
When the car works, I really love the handling and feel! I have access to a brand new Mazda 3, and it's okay, but I do like returning to using the BMW.
Would I buy another BMW? If I get another 50000 kilometres of reliability and enjoyable motoring, I may consider.
Sorry for the long-winded e-mail.
In summary, CHECK THE SERVICE HISTORY for the ABOVE. If there is evidence, it should be a good purchase!
Kind Regards,
-- Jason Tepoorten @HOME snipped-for-privacy@tepoorten.com 8MP Australia

Add pictures here
âś–