My first BMW...

No, it's now a new 7-series.....

I've got an opportunity to purchase a 318is from 1996 that appears to be in excellent condition, despite the 138K miles on the clock. Yes, I know the

328 and 325 may be more desirable, but the price seems to be in the ballpark (about $7000) and it REALLY looks nice.

There are a couple of good BMW shops around that I plan on having check it out. Are there any things I should be looking for when I test drive it?

Thanks!

Mike Nassour / mikenassour at yahoo dot com

Reply to
Mike Nassour

Basically a good car. If it's very noisy when cold I'd fit a new timing chain tensioner, not dear. By 138k the original shocks and exhaust will be getting old. I'd think about fitting new shocks, Boge Turbo Gas work well with the stock springs.

Reply to
John Burns

Damn Mike, you following me?

Reply to
Seth

For '96, you will like the 328 much better.

Reply to
J Strickland

Reply to
mikenassour

The 6 is smoother and more refined, obviously...

Reply to
dizzy

The 6 is a much better motor. It is smoother and quieter and way more powerful. And, the fuel mileage isn't that much different, which means you get a real kick in the ass for practically free.

Reply to
J Strickland

Oh, of course. But the local BMW folks I've spoken with who own 3-series cars of this year (or thereabouts) tell me that the six cylinder cars were generally more troublesome. And if I'm dealing with a car this old, I'd like to keep it as reliable as possible.

Reply to
Mike Nassour

You know, I have heard this sort of stuff too. Even from such sources as the "Tech Talk" editor in Roundel magazine, Mike Miller.

But I really disagree and would counter that the sixes are every bit as reliable as the 4 cylinders engines in those E36'es. Yeah, there are a few known weaknesses in the cooling system, but as long as those are are watched closely, or once those have been taken care of, it's pretty smooth sailing.

For the negligible difference in price on the used market I would look for a six. Preferrably the 2.8l...

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Getting a sweet inline-6 is half the reason for buying a Bimmer. 8)

Reply to
dizzy

I drive one daily (44 miles round trip to work) and it's a great commuting car. I'm averaging just under 30mpg (computer says 30.2 but it's about an mpg off from actual). Smooth accelleration, excellent driving and overall balance. Just a sweet car.

I'd think with 138K, you could find a better deal than $7000 for a 318 but really for maybe 1000 more, you can get a 328 same year same mileage.

I've had next to no maintenence problems with mine, partially because the water pump and radiator were replaced before I got it... I would think that for $9 to 10K you could get a 328 with about 100K miles on it and very clean, with that same work already done. Much more of a car than the 318 IMO.

-Karl Winkler

Karl Winkler

Hi Mike.

I currently own a BMW 318i E36 1993 model.

I wish I thought to visit this forum before buyig the car.

The car started with 104000 kilometres on the odometer in 2001. It now has around 180000.

For the first 60000 kilometres since I had it, I really regreted buying the car. I was starting to miss the car I gave to my brother when I bought the BMW.

I had the following problems:

· camshaft · ball joints · suspension arms at the front · cooling - this was the worst · radiator · water pump · differential · tappet / ticking noise · camshaft (again!) · tappets · rockers

The car just seemed to "break" during that period up to 60000 kilometres. The tappet ticking noise is the last problem I have dealt with.

I recommend having a mechanic you trust and can build a trusting customer/provider relationship with. You'll need and appreciate it! Also, a mechanic that can pre-empt problems before they happen while driving a long from home is an high advantage. It saved me from being stranded! Of course my mechanic is quite experienced with BMWs and other European cars.

Also, a good cash flow will not go astray.

Since the above repairs, my car feels more reliable than when I initially bought it. I am now going to do some minor mods to it like a nice exhaust and decent stereo. The factory fitted stereo receiver no longer picks up FM (another problem) and the right-indicator in the dash-board cluster does not glow.

When the car works, I really love the handling and feel! I have access to a brand new Mazda 3, and it's okay, but I do like returning to using the BMW.

Would I buy another BMW? If I get another 50000 kilometres of reliability and enjoyable motoring, I may consider.

Sorry for the long-winded e-mail.

In summary, CHECK THE SERVICE HISTORY for the ABOVE. If there is evidence, it should be a good purchase!

Kind Regards,

-- Jason Tepoorten @HOME snipped-for-privacy@tepoorten.com

8MP Australia
Reply to
djtep

Many thanks to all here for their kind words. Yes, I have decided to skip over the 318 and set my sights on a six.

What the heck...it's only $$$$

More as it develops.

Mike N.

Reply to
Mike Nassour

I wish you luck in your purchase for the six. I wish I made that decision.

-- Jason Tepoorten @HOME

8MP Australia
Reply to
djtep

There is only one drawback on this: You never ever want to drive any 4banger after enjoying an inline 6 from BMW. You even might look doubtful to any V6 after that ;-)

My first car in 1988 was a 4year old E30 320i with inline6 engine and since then a inline6 engine and rear drive wheel is on my musthave list. These two simple requirements limit your choice of a car to almost exclusively to BMW. At least it did that for me. But hey, better an old BMW than any new frontdrive car.

Currently I happily own an E46 325Ci - you get the picture.

Karl from Germany

Reply to
Karl Koller

What octane do you feed it? (I just bought a 97 Z3 and the owner's manual is a bit ambiguous on the subject...)

Reply to
Gerard Weatherby

My 97 Z3 2.8 averaged 26.8 mpg over 65,000 miles using 93 (US pump) octane. IIRC, the manual indicates that you should use 91 but can pump 87 if necessary. The knock sensor will then most likely retard the timing so the performance and fuel economy will suffer.

Tom

Reply to
Tom K.

I give it 90 or 91, whatever's available. Generally, I go to one particular gas station that has 91.

The manual for this car is pretty specific about wanting 91 or better, otherwise the performance and MPG suffer.

My commute is part highway, part city, and I'm careful not to drive too hard. On tanks where I'm driving a bit harder it might be more like 27 to 28mpg. My guess would be that on pure highway driving (long trips, etc.) it would be more like 30 to 32.

Karl Winkler

Karl Winkler

...and the drawback is what? ;-)

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Are you sure about that Tom? The reason I ask is that I have a '97 Z3

2.8 and it very specifically says 89 AKI (US pump octane), though I occasionally splurge since it does have a small tank.

A lot of the confusion happens because of the difference between octane numbers around the world...

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound