Mystery switch.

On a 1997 model UK E39. Plunger type switch fitted in a vertical plane to the front of the l/h microfilter housing. The plunger part has a cross moulded on the top of it, (positive something?)
and on my car is in the down postion. Pull it, and it clicks into a secondary position. Does anyone know what it's for? Mike.

connection point for the positive cable of a battery charger. The + was a hinged cover that revealed the metal terminal. Any help? Chris.

I know what you mean, but it's not that. The thing I'm asking about is all black plastic, with a built in electrical socket. The plunger part is about 10mm or 3/8" diameter. The connecting plug has 2 thin wires. One purple and green wire, the other brown, that disappear into the main harness. Mike.
says...

Ah this is the one that adjusts the brake sensitivity - you had it switched to the MAX setting ;)
--

jeremy
['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]

You are right. It is (supposed to be) the hood switch. I finally found it in the Bentley manual. I'll have to check the clearance again, because my original check showed it wasn't touching the hood, and there wasn't a mark on the hood to show that it ever had been touching. Mike.