Navigation Problem - 2001 BMW 750iL

Our navigation system sometimes has trouble indicating in which way north should be indicated. Does anyone know whether this system uses a magnometer (?) (compass) (?) or does it derive the direction
from the GPS unit?
If if has a compass, I can just have that replaced.
Oklahoma USA.
Thanks in advance.
Some systems display the direction ahead at the top of the screen, instead of North. This makes it so North is at the top only when you are actually going North. This setting is usually User Adjustable.

I have a 05 525iAT. My systems even works in tunnels and when turning in underground garages. That's why I beleive there is an accelerometer involved. Might also be supported by a magnetometer. GPS can determine direction, but not as fast as a magnetometer or an accelerometer.

Tom Milam, Jr. wrote:

I recently fitted a Mk1 sat nav system to my e38 and it seems to use a combination of road speed, an electronic compass and the GPS to work out where it's going. I don't actually have the compass (magnetic probe) fitted to mine and it does get a bit confused sometimes. I *think* all systems use the compass.