NEED ADVICE :( RUST!!!

Hello to you all,

I've got a problem, and it's really not good. I have found rust on my car, and it looks pretty bad. The car is an E36 coupe 1996 328 is. I have found it all at the rear of the car, and never noticed it before, as it's well hidden.

First area, is between the rear bumper and bodywork. Best way to describe it is the gap between the bumper and body of the car at the back, but only along the sides. If you run your finger along that gap you can feel that there is a roughness to it that seems to be rust when you look closely. I have been quoted £200 to do that work.

The problem is there is more! This is a lot worse though, I'm amazed I never noticed it before.. But.. if you open the boot and remove the LH rear light cover. Twisting the release and then pulling off the black plastic, as if you were changing a bulb, there is quite a lot of rust inside there, and it looks like it's gone through! The point I can best describe it at is, if you imagine looking at the rear light from the back, if you open the boot and look at that light.. and to the immediate right of it, between the black plastic of the light and the boot seal, you can see where it's gone through. It's worse from the back of the light, a lot of flaking.

Now in one sense it's not so bad since you can't see if from outside or even in the boot with all the plastic covering, so really I don't need it spraying, I just want it repairing. I've had all the light out, and the boot trip and it's not spread in either direction. I was very thorough in my examination, had all the carpets out etc.. This is the only area.

I have no idea what is involved with this kind of work, and would like some suggestions if that's possible.. Excuse the long post.. Thankyou

Craig

Reply to
C.Read

You will have to sand it down and apply rust proof liquid. Then repaint. WWhich pretty much means what you don't want to hear. Bring it to a body shop for a paint strip and sanding and paint. It'll run about $3000.00 for the whole car. I don't know the extent of the rust.

You should get a detailed estimate for the whole thing from a shop and then do it piecemeal if budget is limiting. I sucks, but rust doesn't stop until you remove it and seal it. It's not a halfway proposition. Perhaps there are some parts you can replace in total instead of having the labor of rebuilding it.

I need to get mine painted pretty soon too. It takes about a week and they have to take the car apart, if done properly. Very expensive and scary. Just bring it by a body shop. You either can correct it or you can't. Sealing over the rust will not stop the reaction of oxydization. It won't even slow it. It'll just make it so you can't see it.

Reply to
Enoch Root