Need to adjust the windshield wiper arms

99-323i The windsheild was replaced, and to do that they removed the wiper arms. When they reattached the wiper arms they didn't set them correctly. After removing the nuts holding the wiper arms to the
turning mechanism, what else to you have to do to remove the arms? I have tried to pull them off but they seem to be stuck. Is there a special tool? Do I need to remove other parts?
Any help would be appreciated....
Robert
On 27 Mar 2007 07:11:05 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I have seen a hammer used!
Call them back to finish the JOB
Sir Hugh of Bognor

They're on a taper so can stick quite hard. Pull the wiper off the screen so the spring isn't holding things and use a small gear puller to avoid marking things or even a couple of screwdrivers and protect the faces they press on.
--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

As you can see in the first two parts diagrams here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=AM33&mospidG718&hga&fgE
The hole in the wiper arm is cone shaped and just fits onto a likewise tapered splined shaft. After it has been pressed onto the shaft it can be a bit tough to pop it off.
--
-Fred W

They have a splined fitting that is rather tight. The spring load that presses the blade against the glass can cause the arm to become stuck on the shaft. You have to gently press the arm, just before the hinge, toward the glass as you pull the coupling apart with your other hand. You may need to wiggle the arm up and down at the hinge to get the coupling to come loose. When you reassemble, all you do is align the splines as you want the arm positioned and press straight down on the coupling.

Will have to give all of these a try this weekend. Thanks for all the tips/suggestions. Will update with results.....

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Hello snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com,
I had an experience the other year from bad workshop procedures when it comes to windshield replacement. I was driving in the left lane on a Swiss motorway in a blizzard with the wipers operating, when suddenly the right one got loose and sort of collided with the right one and made it all into a mess. I was lucky to reach the right shoulder undamaged and I could fix it provisionally - the arm should be fitted with a torque of 35 kpm as written under the windshield, a fact that the glass workshop obviously did not attend to...
I obviously did not have any problem to remove the wiper arms...