Negotiating with a dealer

Hi all--

I will probably buy a BMW 3 series later this year. I have been doing my homework on the Internet and visited a dealer a couple of times. Exchanged some e-mails with the dealer in the next town over.

I think I'm going to want an all-wheel-drive model. My question is, is it ever possible to order a car (not buy off the lot) and retain any ability to negotiate a good price? I'm pretty patient, but I doubt whether I will have many chances to find close to what I want on a lot.

This is a pretty basic question, but I haven't seen it addressed on the car buying sites. I have just sort of assumed that you can only bargain well if you can convince them that you will walk away if you don't get a reasonable deal. (Do you have to pay something down when ordering a car, by the way?)

You might be interested to know that when I requested one of those competitive quotes over the Internet (I think this one was from Kelly), the BMW dealer in a large city in TX quoted me exactly MSRP. Do they think people are dumb, or is an 06 Bimmer hot enough that it's non-negotiable right now?

Thanks for any comments,

Amanda

Reply to
Amanda Robin

"Amanda Robin" wrote

Well, there are two or three things you need to know.

1) AFAIK, the new 3-series (E90) is currently not available with AWD, although you may be able to get the previous model (E46) still. 2) You're probably not going to get much price movement on the new model - from BMW or any other manufacturer for that matter. If you do, look for a price about 1/2 way between MSRP and invoice; usually $1000-$2000. Note that BMW dealers usually make their cut on options; there is less room in the markup than other makes. 3) You can get deals on ordered cars - I did. I have one of the very few 330xi's without a sunroof in the US; probably fewer than 100. 4) BMW does allow you to order options that aren't available in the US brochure; like cloth seats, no sunroof (the E90 in the US comes with it standard), etc. However, you have to find a dealer who is willing to do the extra work...

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

Don't know why you'd want AWD, but the E90 AWD sedans will be available in October (according to the latest dealer bulletin).

Around here (New England) the E90 is selling slowly - dealers have lots of stock, and are pressuring customers to buy. I'm sure deals are easy to get - in the range of $1k to $2k off MSRP. I didn't push hard myself, since I like the E46 so much more than the E90.

At least half of BMWs are custom ordered. Ordering is easy - pick what you want, they build it, you can track it's progress on the Internet, and your car arrives at the dealer 6 weeks or so later. There is no extra charge - you pay the same thing. (In fact, if you pick up your custom ordered car in Germany, you pay LESS). Unless you absolutely need a car right now today, there is no downside to a custom order at all. In fact there's are big advantages - you get exactly what you want, and the dealer doesn't have a chance to add extra crap like "paint protectant".

You might be able to custom order a E90 AWD starting in September - that's when cars start being produced.

Reply to
sunderland56

Do they

1.) No, they don't think people are dumb. 2.) No, the BMW is not non-negotiable. 3.) They are never in a million years give you the Best Price on the first contact. They'll give you a price that they will let the car out the door at without any fuss whatsoever, but if you want to engage in a negotiation, they are going to start from a high point, not a low one. 4.) If you won't buy for MSRP, the next guy will, good luck. Your ability to negotiate a price on an '05 is better than on an '06.
Reply to
J Strickland

Why did you special order a car without a sunroof?

This feature has value, even if you don't use it. Frankly, I can't imagine not using it, even if all one does is tilt the rear up for ventilation.

Reply to
J Strickland

"J Strickland" wrote

I deliberatly bought an A4 without it. I was going to order one like that, but then the dealer was able to locate a car with the exact options I needed (pretty much every other option minus sunroof) at another dealer lot.

I had an Accord before, with a sunroof, and never used it, so that's why I didn't want it. There are also issues sometimes with the sunroof acting up on its own and/or leaking water - didn't need any of that either. Finally, you get more headroom space without a sunroof.

Maybe the issues I mentioned do not pertain to BMW, but those were my reasons.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Biggest reason for me would be the lack of headroom in cars so equiped. I am fairly tall, but EXTREMELY long in the torso - I flat don't fit comfortably in most European cars with sunroofs. Getting rid of the sunroof gives an extra

1-2" of headroom. Which is too bad as I would rather have one!

Kevin Rhodes Westbrook, Maine

91 318is - no sunroof - with headroom 00 Saab 9-5 - with sunroof, without headroom 74 Triumph Spitfire - infinite headroom :-)
Reply to
Kevin Rhodes

A few observations. The price will depend on the local market. If dealer stock is gathering water spots on the lot, negotiation is possible. If turnover is rapid, probably not. If a particular model is desirable, many dealers will tack on a "market adjustment."

BMW has no holdback (typically 2 - 2 1/2 percent of MSRP or Base price), so the sticker has no hidden profit behind it. (There are occasional dealer incentives on selected models, check the internet.) Some dealers have to pay so much per car into an advertising program (some pass it on to the customer, some eat it, but either way it affects the price).

Yes, you can negotiate a special order car. Expect to make a deposit.

I'd approach it this way. Tell the dealer what the invoice on the car you want is and explain your idea of a reasonable profit for him and the indicated final price. Be realistic, he's got to make at least $1500-2000 on the car even if he's high volume ... There's overhead to meet. See if he buys into your logic.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

The correct approach, I'd say. If dealer a) won't, dealer b) might. And they all will at a certain number. Just buy from whoever goes the lowest, if you know the invoice.

No harm in a moderate drive to pick it up, if it saves you lots. Service can still be at your local dealer.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

"Kevin Rhodes" wrote

Exactly. Almost 2" headroom for us long-torso'd people is important. Also, I live in Seattle; the car spends much time in the mts. in snow, and I have to use a/c year-round to clear the fog from the windows anyway. It's also about 10 lbs lighter.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

Yo Kevin, the head room in an E46 or E90 is exactly the same with and without sunroof.

snipped-for-privacy@canada.com

Reply to
330xi

What's wrong with the American Car buyers, MB is trying to sell you a Chrysler and Audi a fancy VW , both handle like crap as well. BMW is making the best car in it's class and they aren't selling?

In Canada, most are getting grabbed before they hit the lot. BMW store were selling September production vehicles weeks ago and if you want an xi you better get your order in now or you will miss the first batches and have to wait alot longer.

snipped-for-privacy@canada.com

Reply to
330xi

"330xi" wrote

Wrong. I think you should measure yours, then come to Seattle and measure mine.

FloydR '01 330xi

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

My Bentley manual does not indicate any difference in headroom for a sunroof, or not.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

According to the E46 new car brochure, headroom with moonroof = 37.0" and w/o moonroof = 38.4".

Reply to
joe_tide

It's worked for me on a number of cars. Sometimes the dealer was so quick to say "Yes" I wondered if I miscalculated the offer. A couple times I'd get a "You know sir, that's only $XXX above invoice" and not so much as a counteroffer. (the same dealer says, "We'll beat your best deal or give you $100 .... REE GARD LESS!" Uh huh.)

If you can work two (or three) dealers against each other in a bidding war, it's usually advantageous. In my small local market, that means an out-of-town competitor. I've had salespersons threaten that the service on a not-sold-here car might not be forthcoming. "Oh, can I quote you in my letter to the head office?" Then again, if it's a BMW dealer, they're well aware that BMWNA is pretty aloof and/or toothless WRT it's dealer organization.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

I concur with you about a sunroof. I think they are a monumental waste of money, invite eventual leaks, and steal headroom.

Only reason to have one is so the passenger can tilt their seat back and look at the clouds go by.

They are absolutely no substitute for a convertible. Not even remotely close.

Reply to
GRL

Have you actually looked at the thing?

If it ain't selling here in the U.S., it only means Americans still have a modicum of taste and Canadians have lost all theirs.

Reply to
GRL

Hmph, an inch and a half. Who woulda thunk it?

I'm 6'1", and my '94 is the first car with a moon roof that I can comfortably fit in. I have to remove my hat, except baseball caps, but that is a small price to pay.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Opinions vary. I use mine frequently and year round. Never had a leak or mechanical failure with 3 different cars over 11 years.

Admittedly not a substitute for a convertible nor meant to be.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier