Negotiating with a dealer

Page 2 of 2

so
he
The correct approach, I'd say. If dealer a) won't, dealer b) might. And they all will at a certain number. Just buy from whoever goes the lowest, if you know the invoice.
No harm in a moderate drive to pick it up, if it saves you lots. Service can still be at your local dealer.
-Russ.

It's worked for me on a number of cars. Sometimes the dealer was so quick to say "Yes" I wondered if I miscalculated the offer. A couple times I'd get a "You know sir, that's only $XXX above invoice" and not so much as a counteroffer. (the same dealer says, "We'll beat your best deal or give you $100 .... REE GARD LESS!" Uh huh.)
If you can work two (or three) dealers against each other in a bidding war, it's usually advantageous. In my small local market, that means an out-of-town competitor. I've had salespersons threaten that the service on a not-sold-here car might not be forthcoming. "Oh, can I quote you in my letter to the head office?" Then again, if it's a BMW dealer, they're well aware that BMWNA is pretty aloof and/or toothless WRT it's dealer organization.
R / John