New BMW Looks

Came last week and it was exactly 6 years go that I picked up my US E46 ( 2000, Euro Delivery ) . Have considered trading it in for an E90 in the past. The deterrents have been the costs heading slightly upward - it was a bargain in 2000 or so I thought, today it is less of what I would call a bargain - and the turnoff factor of the new-Bangled look.

The price hike, although it is a bit much for the additional standard features - can be justified to an extent - considering what other cars are selling for these days.

But the looks.. I haven't been able to warm up to it. Gone are the days of classic athlete-in-suit bimmers ( I can't believe I said that, I just turned 30 ). Welcome to lexus-wannabe world. The over-dramatic grilles and curved upward turn signals. Thank goodness the grille is still part of the hood - at least on the E90.

Would I buy an E90 if it was my first bimmer? yeah sure. But I have second thoughts about turning in a 2000 E46 ( pre pseudo agressiveness era ). I can afford to keep both since my current car was paid off a long time ago, but that is moot.

Curious to see what other readers think.

Reply to
Vuestra Merced

The E90 is not as good looking as the E46. It's okay.

Are you sure the grill is part of of the hood? I would have sworn that it wasn't anymore (not that it matters).

Have you driven an E90? I have, and was hard-pressed to discern any improvement over the E46.

Reply to
dizzy

OK looks are really a matter or personal taste unless a car is genuinly ugly (like the current 7 series for example!). I like the looks as much (but not more) than the previous E46.

You're kidding right? I own an E91 (E90 touring). Noticable improvement on directional stability and handling, improved refinement. The E90 is a more spacious car inside.

I think you will find it has always been a Lexus IS wannabe 3 series situation, and it still has not caught up great car though the new IS appears to be.

Reply to
AGH!

I am still an E30 owner - that car is just so right in so many respects. Missed the E36 because I hated the styling - the dash was a real departure from normal BMW standards. Thankfully redressed in the beautiful E46. So looking for a 2003 model (before they Bangled the front end). Agree about the E90 looks, but beginning to think I'm in the minority - they're everywhere! The good news is that photos of the coupe and convertible show an improvement.

Reply to
David Haggas

Couldn't agree more. Currently running a E30 318iS and an E38 730i, much nicer than anything they make now.

The proposed Z4 hard top coupe looks great from some angles, but it still doesn't work as a whole.

My next car will be a six series, and I don't mean the current six series :-)

Reply to
John Burns

I had two E30s then an E36 318iS. Kept it for nine years but the fiance had it most of that time. Not as well built as the E30, the door handles and trim all aged badly. Mechanically it was OK. Sold it and went back to an E30!

Reply to
John Burns

Agreed. In spades!

- -Is the correct answer! The receptionist here at work is using her SO's

635CSi Highline at the moment. It is and always will be a work of mechanical art.

JB

Reply to
JB

Which explains why my 'newest' BMW is an '88 535is. Anyone who's interested can see it here:

Same "work of mechanical art" as the E24 except for the body - that doesn't rust as fast. ;^)

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; drove that)

Reply to
E28 Guy©

That's my biggest problem with the E90, the "luxury car" dash as opposed to the classic 3-series "sports coupe" dash. I *want* a nice convenient centre stack angled towards me.

Yes. Many of us consider that a BAD thing. If we wanted a bigger car we'd buy a 5.

Personally I'm keeping my E46 and skipping the E90. Given the sales figures for the past few months, and the hefty discounts available on the E90, there are many others doing the same. Eventually I'll either buy a 1 series, which is still a true BMW, or I'll (gasp) switch over to Audi.

Reply to
sunderland

Still? That "feature" was introduced to the 3 series line with the E46. E36es had grille attached to bumper and E30's had proper hoods opening forward, so naturally the grille was not on the hood.

Reply to
Fred W

Spacious inside, but I don't think any bigger on the outside. I found the E46 to be too small for me (6ft tall), banging my elbows on the doors etc. while sat in the drivers seat. No real leg room in the back so cannot carry adult passengers. Problem with the 5 of coarse is that it is a more expensive car with not quite such a sharp drive. The E46 made more sense as a coupe where you don't care about passenger and luggage space.

No comment!

Reply to
AGH!

I would kill for that 507.

Reply to
Fred W

Indeed. That is one gorgeous motor. Rare over here too. I've never even seen one of them 'in the flesh'.

JB

Reply to
JB

Nah, IMO the E34 is the best looking BMW sedan. Sure, my '92 535 isn't as good looking as my other car, but few cars are. With that said, I might become the owner of a '88 E28 the weekend if everything goes as planned. I need new snow tires and reading the car ads I found a guy selling his BMW for $500 which supposedly has one year old studded Hakkepelittas on it. After talking to him today I am sure I can get the price down at least a hundred, maybe more, so then I'll practically get the car for free with the tires. :-)

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

Guess it depends on what you like. I didn't really like the look of the E90 when I first saw it, but it started to wear on me and now I can't believe I didn't like it from the start. Look at one in your rear view mirror and that front end looks awesome. The only problem I ever really had was with the back and I still think they could have done better, but it fits.

Not to mention the E90 is a much better car all the way around.

Reply to
Jack Dotson

Nope.

I admit that I did notice a slightly heavier, less-lively feel... And an exhaust note that was too quiet...

It's increased size is not an advantage, IMO.

Reply to
dizzy

Since the 1 series isn't available here in the US, I'll hold onto my E46 for a decade or so until the 1 grows to the size of the E36. Then, they'll import it and we can all wistfully look at the new "compact" 8/10 series.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

In what ways, exactly, is it "much better"?

Reply to
dizzy

Faster, handles better, more room in cabin and trunk, more comfortable, etc.

Start with the 3.0 engine in all models and go from there. The new 325i has about as much power as old 330i and is about the size of the old 5 series. But still handles like a 3, and better than the last generation.

Some may not like the dash lay out, but it works. Ergonomics are great, but now there is good access for driver and passenger. If they sacrificed the drivers accessibility I wouldn't like it, but the didn't.

I personally don't see how more interior space could ever be a problem, especially when we're talking about a sedan, and considering it handles better than the last model. Could that huge trunk be a bad thing? More leg room for the passengers?

Looks are subjective, but the new 3's are flying off the lots. Why, because they have managed to give the consumer the best of both worlds. Fun, performance, convenience and comfort in the 3.

There are numerous reviews where the author compares the new to the old, a quick search and you can easily find many comparisons. You will quickly see that these are not only my observations, but every single review seems to think the new 3's are much better as well.

It's a great car. You don't like the looks, I do. You don't like that they made it bigger? Then there is always the new 1 series. Maybe this is why they came out with the 1 at the same time?

Bravo BMW for making the best 3 ever!!

Reply to
Jack Dotson

Barely. Not enough to notice.

Says who? I think it's more ponderous, and I don't like having to use run-flats.

What about the down-side of that increased size?

Pfftt.. Bullshit it is.

What's with that stupid "stick the thingy in the dash then press this button" business, anyway? That's a real improvement.

Reply to
dizzy