New BMW Looks

Page 1 of 3
Came last week and it was exactly 6 years go that I picked up my US E46 ( 2000, Euro Delivery ) . Have considered trading it in for an E90 in the past. The deterrents have been the costs heading slightly upward -
it was a bargain in 2000 or so I thought, today it is less of what I would call a bargain - and the turnoff factor of the new-Bangled look.
The price hike, although it is a bit much for the additional standard features - can be justified to an extent - considering what other cars are selling for these days.
But the looks.. I haven't been able to warm up to it. Gone are the days of classic athlete-in-suit bimmers ( I can't believe I said that, I just turned 30 ). Welcome to lexus-wannabe world. The over-dramatic grilles and curved upward turn signals. Thank goodness the grille is still part of the hood - at least on the E90.
Would I buy an E90 if it was my first bimmer? yeah sure. But I have second thoughts about turning in a 2000 E46 ( pre pseudo agressiveness era ). I can afford to keep both since my current car was paid off a long time ago, but that is moot.
Curious to see what other readers think.
Vuestra Merced wrote:

The E90 is not as good looking as the E46. It's okay.
Are you sure the grill is part of of the hood? I would have sworn that it wasn't anymore (not that it matters).

Have you driven an E90? I have, and was hard-pressed to discern any improvement over the E46.
OK looks are really a matter or personal taste unless a car is genuinly ugly (like the current 7 series for example!). I like the looks as much (but not more) than the previous E46.

I own an E91 (E90 touring). Noticable improvement on directional stability and handling, improved refinement. The E90 is a more spacious car inside.

situation, and it still has not caught up great car though the new IS appears to be.
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 01:08:41 -0800, AGH! wrote:

Nope.
I admit that I did notice a slightly heavier, less-lively feel... And an exhaust note that was too quiet...

It's increased size is not an advantage, IMO.

Over here the new Lexus IS 250 currently runs through the car mags. The car is losing every comparison test. Main disadvantages: Too weak engine, too much fuel consumption, over-nervous and harsh suspension.
IMHO the fact that there is a japanese brannd called Lexus, which has a weak reputation amongst true BMW drivers, does not have to mean that it is suitable to call each new BMW a Lexus.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance

I am still an E30 owner - that car is just so right in so many respects. Missed the E36 because I hated the styling - the dash was a real departure from normal BMW standards. Thankfully redressed in the beautiful E46. So looking for a 2003 model (before they Bangled the front end). Agree about the E90 looks, but beginning to think I'm in the minority - they're everywhere! The good news is that photos of the coupe and convertible show an improvement.

I had two E30s then an E36 318iS. Kept it for nine years but the fiance had it most of that time. Not as well built as the E30, the door handles and trim all aged badly. Mechanically it was OK. Sold it and went back to an E30!

That's my biggest problem with the E90, the "luxury car" dash as opposed to the classic 3-series "sports coupe" dash. I *want* a nice convenient centre stack angled towards me.

Yes. Many of us consider that a BAD thing. If we wanted a bigger car we'd buy a 5.
Personally I'm keeping my E46 and skipping the E90. Given the sales figures for the past few months, and the hefty discounts available on the E90, there are many others doing the same. Eventually I'll either buy a 1 series, which is still a true BMW, or I'll (gasp) switch over to Audi.

Spacious inside, but I don't think any bigger on the outside. I found the E46 to be too small for me (6ft tall), banging my elbows on the doors etc. while sat in the drivers seat. No real leg room in the back so cannot carry adult passengers. Problem with the 5 of coarse is that it is a more expensive car with not quite such a sharp drive. The E46 made more sense as a coupe where you don't care about passenger and luggage space.

AGH! wrote:

Well now, that sounds like a win-win to me!
Seriously, here's the facts:
Width: Up three inches 68.5 -> 71.5 Wheelbase: Up 1.4 inches 107.3 -> 108.7 Length: Up 2.2 inches 176 -> 178.2

Since the 1 series isn't available here in the US, I'll hold onto my E46 for a decade or so until the 1 grows to the size of the E36. Then, they'll import it and we can all wistfully look at the new "compact" 8/10 series.
Tom K.

Couldn't agree more. Currently running a E30 318iS and an E38 730i, much nicer than anything they make now.
The proposed Z4 hard top coupe looks great from some angles, but it still doesn't work as a whole.
My next car will be a six series, and I don't mean the current six series :-)

Agreed. In spades!

- -Is the correct answer! The receptionist here at work is using her SO's 635CSi Highline at the moment. It is and always will be a work of mechanical art.
JB
JB wrote:

Which explains why my 'newest' BMW is an '88 535is. Anyone who's interested can see it here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/578895
Same "work of mechanical art" as the E24 except for the body - that doesn't rust as fast. ;^) -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; drove that)
E28 Guy wrote:

I would kill for that 507.
--
-Fred W

one of them 'in the flesh'.
JB
E28 Guy wrote:

Nah, IMO the E34 is the best looking BMW sedan. Sure, my '92 535 isn't as good looking as my other car, but few cars are. With that said, I might become the owner of a '88 E28 the weekend if everything goes as planned. I need new snow tires and reading the car ads I found a guy selling his BMW for $500 which supposedly has one year old studded Hakkepelittas on it. After talking to him today I am sure I can get the price down at least a hundred, maybe more, so then I'll practically get the car for free with the tires. :-)
http://i1.tinypic.com/nfqr04.jpg

I'm hard pressed to find any of the new BMWs more stylish and classic than my 1980 633. I agree on the "work of mechanical art" comment and would disagree on the rust, although after 25 years and 220K, some is starting to emerge. How may of the new computerized cars will be on the road, still cared for by their drivers after 25 years? Now the Z8 on the other hand.......
Paul
E28 Guy wrote:

Tasten:

First of all: It is completely normal that people tend to like the cars they own.;-)
Second point: To look "classic", a car has to reach a certain age. The current BMW 645i does not look classic, it simply looks new. The Z8 was an example of a car which was intended to look classic right from the assembly line. To me it looks somewhat retro. Nevertheless I'd chose a Z8 over a 633, if someone gave me one for free.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Vuestra Merced wrote:

Still? That "feature" was introduced to the 3 series line with the E46. E36es had grille attached to bumper and E30's had proper hoods opening forward, so naturally the grille was not on the hood.
--
-Fred W