New bulbs -- PIAA or Luminic?

I want to put new bulbs in my bmw. The current bulbs are dim.

the PIAA gives more "specs' on the bulb, but won't tell me how long they'll last.

Luminic is cheaper, but give a 1 year warranty. Considering how bright they burn, that's good.

Does anyone have any opinion for DOT legal bulbs (PIAA are, not sure about Luminic) for bright white bulbs?

PIAA has "superwhite" and Luminic has "titanium white"

Any opinions?

Reply to
Jack Traite

Just get Osram "Silverstar" or Philips "VisionPlus" lamps. The rest are really just snake-oil copies.

JB

Reply to
JB

Thanks! There's a kid out here who's got PIAA's -- I have to admit; they are bright; but that's compared to my old car (he's got one of those stupid coffee can mufflered hondas).

Reply to
Jack Traite

PIAA is a reputable specialty bulb producer.

I wouldn't consider them "snake oil" peddlers at all.!

Reply to
Gcracker

Reputable? perhaps. Snake oil? Perhaps not. But they certainly do run fast and loose with the marketing hyperbole...

They claim their bulbs are brighter. One would infer this means that they put out more quantity of light than a standard halogen. They do not, at least not by any appreciable amount. By changing the gas mixture in the bulb envelope, the filament burns hotter which makes it put out a whiter color of light than standard halogen bulbs. Like when you are doing your laundry, it can be said to be "brighter" because it's whiter. Does it actually give you improved night vision, which afterall is the whole point of automotive lighting? Probably not.

And the prices they demand for their hyped up bulbs is ridiculous IMO.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

those are called sH1t cans

Reply to
mattinro

The Phillips vision plus is reputed to have the highest output for a standard bulb. It's noticeable, but just. It's also not HID blue/white.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

I've also heard, but have no FHE, that the Osram Silverstars have a higher lumen output. But these are not available in the US since Sylvania markets a different bulb under the Silverstar product name. The Sylvania bulbs are just blue bulbs at a premium price.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

True. Try Daniel Stern's site:

might also google in rec.autos.driving for him - he posted a quickieguide to best lightbulbs a couple years ago. FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Thanks, but I have read that site and find it to be very informative. Daniel sometimes passes through here (a.a.b) with a comment or two.

Reply to
Malt_Hound