New Cars - Too many gizmos?

I've really gotten discouraged with what seems to be happening to almost all the new cars. They're getting so many electronic gizmos on them that I've just got to believe reliability is going to suffer. I'm thinking specifically about problems I've read with the "soft stop" on the new E90. MB seems to have their electronic brake controls panned in every C&D mag review - things like that.

Also, what's with the new styling - seems as everyone has taken off the side strips to prevent parking lot dings - it's as if all the stylists for every manufacturer went to a meeting last year and decided that they'd all remove them. I thought they were not only practical, but actually made the car look better - breaks up the "slab side" look, especially when blended with rub strips on the bumper. Most of those are gone too - touch anything with the bumper now, and you rub off paint.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Frank

Reply to
Raybender

People have been saying that for 50+ years. First, electric windows "break too easy," but almost every car has them today and the reliability is no different than manual windows.

Reply to
J Strickland

I'm with you, Frank-bender. I really wish BMW would import a *quality* car into the USA that could be ordered with minimal doo-dads like the early '90's 3-series cars could.

Gimme, 5-speed, leather-ette seats, skip the sun/moonroof, no nav, basic stereo... you get the idea. But I do want that silky smooth I6 engine.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

-and added the high waist sheetmetal crease, the intricate fender stamping where the crease intersects the wheel well, the trunk on top of quarter panels (Bangle Butt) and some manner of Kabuki eyes.

I find it all hilarious. BMW came out with these designs that almost everyone and anyone panned....and now 2 years later almost every luxury maker is following their design lead. It's just beautiful :^)

Reply to
Ross Garrett

Exactly the configuration of my 97 328, and I'm keeping it forever. Now at

120k it is running better than when it was new, because I've really learned how perfectly all the gears are spaced for 4-5K shifts etc. What a pleasure. No drive-by-wire throttle control to mess up my rpm matching 'cause of a computer, or sensor burp.

Frank

Reply to
Raybender

Along with 'massive' bumpers - man many cars (not just BMW) look like they have bumpers for a truck. If they just added a rubber rub strip through the middle, it would break up the visual effect and make them look so much better. And I agree, the high waist crease - it's too high, makes the sides look like slabs of armor plating.

Frank

Reply to
Raybender