New M vs. New 3 series

I noticed that the 2008 M3 is supposedly going to run a 0-60 in 4.7 seconds, and that the 2007 330i coupe runs the 0-60 in 4.8.....is the M really worth the extra money, now that the normal 3 series coupe is
just as fast (at least for the 0-60)?

I don't know where you're getting your numbers for the 330i, but the Car & Driver that compared the 330d to the 330i pegged it at 5.6s. Even the 335i turbo car with 300hp and almost as much torque as the new M3 only gets to 60 in 4.9s.
And, 0-60 is not the be-all-and-end-all.
FloydR
Floyd Rogers wrote:

4.9 - maybe a ringer. I drove a 335. They are not very fast. My Supra TT would have no trouble.

Indeed.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I doubt your "specs" are correct, but in any case the aim of the M3 is ultra-sport handling and performance. The 330i would be aimed a bit softer on the suspension scale and toward the daily driver.
--
-Fred W

Yea Man like you need that in New York, L.A, London, Berlin, Tokio etc.
Total waste of money buy a 2.0 stick M badges on it and don't tell anyone.
Not every traffic light is a drag strip.

The E46 M3 doesn't do 4.8 does it? So the new 330 if it is a 3.0 I guess will have a turbo or something?
I personally don't really like the E46 M3 and a lot of others don't like it either. If the new M3 is a dog then personally I'd prefer to take something a bit more regular then add aftermarket (probably superior) components.
I have an E46 M3 and often wish I'd gone the other route and put a supercharger on a 330.
adder1969 wrote:

What's wrong with it? I was thinking about one of those for my next car.